Why become a member? ×

1966 Fender Precision Bass Advice wanted

danbanbass

[quote name='Jebo1' timestamp='1454177545' post='2967320']
It looks nice, but I'd stay away from something that has had that many changes, unless of course it plays incredibly and you're not worried about the resale value, or purchasing it an investment.
[/quote]
I'd agree with this assessment..

For investment purposes (and you'd probably have to wait a good while these days to see a decent return on most vintage instruments purchased at today's prices) then it's probably not the right bass to go for.

If, however, you're after a 60s Fender bass and don't mind if it's been modded/changed and it feels and sounds great and is what you're after and you're not purchasing as an investment then it's certainly worth considering.

If it's the bass I think it is it has also been in The Bass Gallery (may still be on their website?). The refin is very well done (whoever refinished it used the gold undercoat which Fender did around that time on the CAR finishes - along with silver, in some cases) and it played nicely and sounded like a 60s P-bass would/should.

If it were me, and I was after a vintage Fender vibe, then I'd opt for an instrument that was from that period and had been modded etc. over a CS model (and this is nothing against CS models), but it's different strokes for different folks.

In terms of price, I'd say it's on the high side for what it is - and consider that, if it's a commission sale, you'll be paying circa 20% more than you would if buying from the owner direct.

I was always led to believe that anything refinished would be broadly worth half of a similar unfinished instrument - Andy Baxter has a lovely '66 P-bass up for sale at the moment for £4,500 and, whilst it's a three-tone sunburst model and custom finishes generally fetch more, this probably gives you an idea of what you should be paying (and, again, bear in mind that there is probably movement on Andy's price)..

That said if it's something that you love and you can afford it (and you're not looking for an investment piece) then there are worse things to spend money on..

Edited by Old Man Riva