Why become a member? ×

Wal MK1 Fretless - Violet Stained Sycamore Facings *Sold*
£3800

CamdenRob

Wal Mk1 quarter lined fretless – 2014 Violet stained Sycamore facings

W4205

£3800 – Bank Transfer only

I have another fretless Wal being built at the moment and although it is not due for a while, I would like to sort out the money for it sooner rather than later, as I suspect I may be looking to buy a house around the time the bass will be completed and money will be needed elsewhere. So it is with great regret (I simply cannot keep all the basses I love) that I must offer this up for a new home.

This is a wonderful example of a Paul era Wal. The bass is in the same fantastic condition it came to me in, with no dinks or scuffs on the body, headstock or the back of the neck. The ebony fretboard has very slight wear from the nickel roundwounds I have been using on it, but hardly anything really.

I will weigh the bass tonight and post the result. It is a Wal so it is not featherlight, but it is much lighter than my sixer and balances well both on a strap and seated, more so now that I have replaced the tuners with Schallers new lightweight version (original tuners included).

The price reflects what I have tied up in the bass after a complicated trade to acquire it last year when I moved my original MK3 sixer on. It is about a grand cheaper than a similar spec bass would be to order today and you will not have to wait two years for it! Replicating these exact facings would also be difficult.

Bass comes with the Wal branded hardcase and a set of truss rod / saddle adjustment tools. Bass is currently strung with D’Addario nickels.

I have a vehement hatred of courier companies and have a strong preference to have this bass collected or deliver it to a train station within a reasonable distance of London. I will leave the bass up for a couple of weeks as collection only (from Camden NW1) before I will consider shipping.

I am not looking for any trades on this bass, cash sale only.

You are more than welcome to come round and try the bass :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Gah! No fretless 4 string Wals, so I decide on a custom build by Public Peace, then there are 2 in quick succession; my timing (and patience) sucks! This is sooo gorgeous! GLWTS, I suspect this won't be here long.

I have contacted Paul to see if they can give the bass a full service (I'll drop it off weekend after next - 6th Feb) and then ship it on to a potential buyer direct.

So there may be a shipping option (will cost a bit extra as it'll be fully insured) If the pickup option doesn't take your fancy...

So still pick up only for the moment but will confirm when I hear back from Wal :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Gents I have had a bit of a deluge of interest in this so I am going to put it on hold whilst I work through the various permutations...

It is not sold (so mods please leave the thread open), but I want to work through the various offers I have had already to keep things fair, before inviting any further interest.

Thanks for all the PMs, I will reply to everyone. This is a wonderful instrument and I will be sorry to see it go. :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1453822542' post='2963125']
Oh yeah - I was its first owner - what a gorgeous Wal that is ... someone will be very pleased with it.
GLWTS Rob!
[/quote]

Thanks Oliver :)

It pains me to sell it as it's so beautiful and sounds so good... I am having a fretless sixer built and the facings on this are the inspiration :) I'm thinking of a faded sonic blue type hue over sycamore... although there is plenty of time for me to change my mind!

For any interested parties, spiritchaser was the original owner and ordered this bass from Wal, so if anyone is qualified for a second opinion it is him :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Rob if you end up selling it overseas. I believe Paul charges around the vicinity of £320 to ship. He packs the basses very well!!!!! When i got one of my Wals through basschat, they actually went to Wal HQ to assist in packaging it....it was packaged extremely well!!

• 1 month later...