Why become a member? ×

Is possession 9/10's of the law?

Ashweb

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1453642541' post='2961290']

Considering putting "morally questionable" in Twincam's feedback thread ;)
[/quote]

You know what as I was typing that I thought "I hope no one thinks I'm a bit dodgy" hahaha

I'm actually a really honest guy, in this case someone has been messed about by a shop and rightly sent the bass back all good there right thing too do etc etc.
But it takes time away from you, having to repackage the bass and then wait for courier which is an arse on and never mind the "if's" say he had needed the bass for gig. So I felt like many he should of had some form of compensation. If this happened in a private sale ok no issue no ones fault, my issue is with a shop expecting all this and not even offering say a free pack of strings as a goodwill gesture.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453653350' post='2961422']

You know what as I was typing that I thought "I hope no one thinks I'm a bit dodgy" hahaha

I'm actually a really honest guy, in this case someone has been messed about by a shop and rightly sent the bass back all good there right thing too do etc etc.
But it takes time away from you, having to repackage the bass and then wait for courier which is an arse on and never mind the "if's" say he had needed the bass for gig. So I felt like many he should of had some form of compensation. If this happened in a private sale ok no issue no ones fault, my issue is with a shop expecting all this and not even offering say a free pack of strings as a goodwill gesture.
[/quote]

Yeah I get that, only messin'

OK, thanks for all the comments and support. The bass was picked up today and hopefully that will draw this sad tale to an end. Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic but it wouldn't surprise me if I now get an email telling me it arrived back at the shop in several pieces despite being carefully packed and wrapped. :P

I'll keep you all posted.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1453551113' post='2960447']
No idea how it works with theft, but if you buy a car for example, and it turns out to be stolen, it can be taken from you even if you bought it in good faith. Wouldn't that apply to everything or just cars, or am i also wrong about the car getting repossessed?
I really do think that all these cash converter type shops are the biggest fences in Britain
[/quote]
Nope - I am ex Cash Converters and in EVERY case where a stolen item is purchased even in 100% good faith and "proof of ownership" from the thief, the shop STILL takes the hit financially as well has returning the stolen item to its rightful owner. So much for fences. The franchise regulations require full ID with every article sold to CC. Not worth losing the franchise and that much money to fence stolen £98 basses.

Sorry but that's not 'Every' case, I bought a G&L from a CC in London received the bass and did a Serial number search, That brought up a rehearsal room theft in London with the said bass being stolen.

I returned the bass with the evidence and fair enough I got a refund, I wrote a note saying 'Do the right thing', About a week later the bass appeared in the same CC again, I informed the guy who called down to the store with A PC and claimed his bass. He was very thankful for the tip off.

Probably not all CC are the same but human nature is a funny thing when It comes to money.

Had an email from the shop today - bass arrived back in one piece and a full refund including my original P&P costs has been credited to my account. Hopefully they can now contact the father and return his bass to him. I've not heard if they traced the effect pedal but I'm guessing he'll be more relieved to get the bass back.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice - I appreciate it. :)

Yes, about 13 years ago I bought a fretless electric guitar a Vigier Surfeiter from Cash Converters. Absolutely mint condition and I got it for a fraction of the price because it had been in the shop for about 6 months and I managed to convince the shop that it is such an unusual instrument it would be hard for them to sell if they didn't sell it to me. Anyway I then contacted Vigier via email with the serial number to find out more about the guitar. The response I got back was that the guitar was a pre-release prototype and belonged to them, they had loaned it to a well known guitarist, whom I shall not name, but lets say he was guitarist in a major british classic rock band and he did not return it to them. They told me to ship it back to the factory in France.

I decided to contact the police to find out what the situation is. They told me that since I bought the guitar in good faith at a shop I should contact the company who claims it is their instrument and tell them that since the guitar has not been reported to the police as stolen, then as far as they are concerned no crime has been committed and if they wanted to pursue the matter further they should instigate court proceedings. I emailed them the findings and I never heard anything back from them, not even an acknowledgement of the email.

I think if they had proved ownership I'd return it only if I was going to be refunded on my outlay from the shop I bought it from. But in my case the company did not take any steps to prove their ownership of the instrument nor did they contact the Cash Converters store to determine where the guitar came from.

Edited by jazzyvee