Why become a member? ×

ARP Odyssey

The-Ox

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1452559305' post='2951238']
This is the waldorf right? Does it coem with a keyboard? Looks nice!

Ok thanks! I'm getting mixed reviewd eith the karp, some say yes, others slate it (i notice its vintage arp owners who slate it)
[/quote]

That desktop one's called just "Waldorf". The one with keyboard is called "Waldorf Keyboard".
IMS, both can be had in black as well.
The Keyboard not only has keys, but also comes with readily usable wavetables and samples. If one wants those on the desktop, one has to lock them up (they are pre-installed, but locked), and a license for that costs roughly 100 Euros or so.

Mind you, I only mentioned it as a very deep and very flexible synth. Its few knobs belie its capacities as well as its ease of use. But it is unashamedly digital and is not the first synth I'd think of as a 1:1 Odyssey replacement.
It can be used as a virtual analogue synth, but many more dedicated VAs exist, like the Akai Miniak that was discussed earlier.
Yes, here on BC. :lol:
Some like VA, others hate it. I like it, and I particularly like the Miniak for its sound and depth. Hate the tiny display though.

Yeah, I've seen the slating in the "Korg announce Odyssey"-thread on GS. Also there it was immediately picked up that the slating came from people who saw the value of their own Odysseys drop.
No serious review of the KARP has not lauded it. Tiny differences with the original exist, especially in filter details, but then each and every Odyssey built back then sounded differently at any rate, amongst other things because of component tolerances in those days (and ARP also made a mess in their factory).
Also, an old Odyssey will sound different now than it did when it was new, and after an expensive service it will sound different again.

The only serious criticism against the KARP that I have seen is against its form factor with slimline keys, and its mediocre keybed. Personally, I expect to use an external keyboard for it. Not sure yet.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1452565588' post='2951245']

That desktop one's called just "Waldorf". The one with keyboard is called "Waldorf Keyboard".
IMS, both can be had in black as well.
The Keyboard not only has keys, but also comes with readily usable wavetables and samples. If one wants those on the desktop, one has to lock them up (they are pre-installed, but locked), and a license for that costs roughly 100 Euros or so.

Mind you, I only mentioned it as a very deep and very flexible synth. Its few knobs belie its capacities as well as its ease of use. But it is unashamedly digital and is not the first synth I'd think of as a 1:1 Odyssey replacement.
It can be used as a virtual analogue synth, but many more dedicated VAs exist, like the Akai Miniak that was discussed earlier.
Yes, here on BC. :lol:
Some like VA, others hate it. I like it, and I particularly like the Miniak for its sound and depth. Hate the tiny display though.

Yeah, I've seen the slating in the "Korg announce Odyssey"-thread on GS. Also there it was immediately picked up that the slating came from people who saw the value of their own Odysseys drop.
No serious review of the KARP has not lauded it. Tiny differences with the original exist, especially in filter details, but then each and every Odyssey built back then sounded differently at any rate, amongst other things because of component tolerances in those days (and ARP also made a mess in their factory).
Also, an old Odyssey will sound different now than it did when it was new, and after an expensive service it will sound different again.

The only serious criticism against the KARP that I have seen is against its form factor with slimline keys, and its mediocre keybed. Personally, I expect to use an external keyboard for it. Not sure yet.
[/quote]

Thanks again!! Yeah i wasn't too keen om the minikeys, didn't think to plug in an external keypad, good thinking :D

There's a very good comparison between the Mk III Odyssey and the new Korg one, done by Dave Spiers of GForce (who make the Oddity 2 soft synth). IIRC the ring modulator is totally different, if that matters.

https://youtu.be/qBxhOXFrvrI

and an Octave Cat demo.

https://youtu.be/77s3bcjO4kU

BTW, I reckon the Oddity 2 is amazing. Bags of character and very flexible. And polyphonic.

The Axxe is essentially half an Odyssey - only one VCO so it won't ever sound as fat, and only a single envelope generator. However if you are going to use it like Pete Townshend to process external polyphonic sources then the single VCO won't matter (although the single envelope generator applied to both the VCF and VCA may be a problem). There was also an Octave "version" called The Kitten.

One thing to watch if you are buying an original ARP synth is that the design of the later models had the keys overhanging the casing. This means that they are quite exposed and prone to being broken.

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1452598997' post='2951420']
cheers guys! Researching into it a bit more, seems interesting! Any of you ever bought off craigslist? I've found some minimoogs and am a bit weary
[/quote]

In my experience 90% of stuff for sale on Craigslist is a scam, and the 10% of genuine stuff is being sold by crazy bastards you don't want to get involved with.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452641382' post='2952042']

In my experience 90% of stuff for sale on Craigslist is a scam, and the 10% of genuine stuff is being sold by crazy bastards you don't want to get involved with.
[/quote]

Yep agreed! Ahh feels like an enternity since I made that last comment, I've now found out legit deals on:

A minimoog voyager old school
An EML 101
maplin ETI 4600 (has matrix patches like an EMS VCS3)

A few months ago I downloaded a VST Odyssey emulator for free and it's pretty darned good. If you're making demos, that should do the job and it works fine in Reaper

Edit : Here - http://www.synthschool.com/free-plug-ins/index.html

Edited by Norris

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1452682583' post='2952279']
A few months ago I downloaded a VST Odyssey emulator for free and it's pretty darned good. If you're making demos, that should do the job and it works fine in Reaper

Edit : Here - [url="http://www.synthschool.com/free-plug-ins/index.html"]http://www.synthscho...-ins/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

thanks!!! What application do I run this with? It says it might damage my computer

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1452690936' post='2952443']
thanks!!! What application do I run this with? It says it might damage my computer
[/quote]
A DAW or anything that can host VSTs.. .can't think of any host software to recommend off the top of my head.

Not sure that you can actually damage your computer, but be aware that you can output potentially speaker-knackering frequencies with synths & synth software!

Seeing as you've introduced the EML and Maplin in the thread (asking for trouble in my mind, but it's your money), as well as the Voyager old school, I guess that you're not that preoccupied with getting a real old Odyssey after all, in which case you might be open to a few alternatives that I think would probably serve you better:

- If you have £1,300 to spend, why not look at the MFB Dominion 1. It's new and built like a tank, has warranty, and resembles the Odyssey in many ways - especially in its sound - - apart from it being more flexible that is. Me, I'm getting one.
- The aforementioned Blofeld Keyboard is the highest quality and deepest synth you're gonna find under £1,000 or at least under £600, and it has a great keybed, 4 octaves and both Velocity and Aftertouch - which is rare. Me, I'm probably getting another one.
- The new Korg Minilogue is a STEAL at only £435. You can make it sound beefy as well as thin, and has 200 patch memories and a sequencer and other goodies. It's simple user interface does not show well what it can do. The built-in "oscilloscope" also is a great tool when sound designing. Me, I'm probably getting one - not because its the end-all of synths, but because it's a great, great addition (or a great, great first synth to others). Also, I believe that for once, Korg are gonna raise its price rather than their usual tactics of reducing the price by one third after some time.
- The aforementioned KARP, for obvious reasons, which also is reported to drop in price after the NAMM show, by possibly £150, making it another steal for those who are already Odysseyally inclined. Me, I already have one, but might even invest in a second one.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1452654814' post='2952116']
Yep agreed! Ahh feels like an enternity since I made that last comment, I've now found out legit deals on:

A minimoog voyager old school
An EML 101
maplin ETI 4600 (has matrix patches like an EMS VCS3)
[/quote]

I couldn't possibly recommend the Maplin synth unless you are (or know) a very good and experienced electronics engineer with access to all the appropriate tools including a decent oscilloscope.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1452869506' post='2954295']
I couldn't possibly recommend the Maplin synth unless you are (or know) a very good and experienced electronics engineer with access to all the appropriate tools including a decent oscilloscope.
[/quote]

Yup. The Maplin especially, but the EML and the original Odyssey are likewise not first and foremost investments but rather objects that require investments.