Why become a member? ×

Action woes

Twincam

I'm having trouble (still) finding an action that works for me. Seems I need three different setups, which I do have three basses all set up different. Low 2mm and under, standard 2.4 -2mm and high 3 odd mm.
What I like doesn't make sense, genuinely from fretting to plucking it varies from tune to tune what my hands prefer and I truly feel comfortable with.
I have tried practicing solely on a standard action height and it seems neither here or there and I don't feel as I should.

I don't think what I'm doing is wrong, just a bit annoying changing basses to feel comfortable and I feel a bit daft doing it infront of people tbh.
Any advice on this?

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452444001' post='2949981']
Just pick one & get used to it.
3mm isn't a high action BTW - if you think that's high you'd never manage to play any of my basses.
[/quote]

I've tried that and have practiced mainly with the one action for several months and still a little confused to why I'm not fully adapting, maybe it's just me.

Out of curiosity what's the action height on your basses my highest is about 3.5mm I can play to 4mm if the strings are lower tension. Feels very different to my little bronco bass which has a sub 2mm action after I levelled and highly polished the frets. Suppose with high action you never have to worry about level frets lol.

My action is pretty low but i don't measure it due to having bad eyesight. Like you i play a variety of stuff so have a setup that is a compromise for the different styles. Setup approach is mainly by intuition - get the neck how i like it - get some DR strings - sort action and intonation and then adjust pickup height.

Just too lazy to take 3 basses to a gig so happy to compromise. Such an ass pain swapping basses especially if your at the end of a gig and its going well.

Are you sure it is the action that is the issue and not the string type/tension.

I ask as I find that cheep strings feel bad and have a terrible tension especially on the e and b.

I moved over to using La'Bella perfect tension strings a few months back and they are a dream to play.

Might be worth considering which strings you are using and are if that helps?

I have very low action on 2 basses and the 3rd is a work in progress.
At the moment the tone of the bass makes me persevere...
It isn't a slap machine .. but I'm thinking of making it my groove bass... :lol:

So..atm, not freaked out about the set-up.. but also not gigging it...

hmmm.. ??

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1452526647' post='2950815']
Are you sure it is the action that is the issue and not the string type/tension.

I ask as I find that cheep strings feel bad and have a terrible tension especially on the e and b.

I moved over to using La'Bella perfect tension strings a few months back and they are a dream to play.

Might be worth considering which strings you are using and are if that helps?
[/quote]

It could be. I have confused myself by changing strings flats to wounds and different brands. I used to like heavy high tension strings but now I think I prefer lighter gauge rounds as my technique was horrible and had little plucking control but slowly it's getting better and
I can play lighter and lighter all the time.
Just a thought that all this might be caused by my evolving playing. As I'm still a relative beginner 2 years 8 months playing give or take and self taught which is much slower going.

I suppose that even when you go for the same action across a few basses they would no doubt feel different were you to have instruments with different fingerboard radii, string spacings, height of fingerboard above the bass body... what might be easy on one bass (say slap) wouldn't necessarily come easy on a different instrument. As you say though, an evolving technique might mean it's taking time to home in on your ideal setup.

Edited by HowieBass