Why become a member? ×

Belated NBD day

Machines

My Dad picked this Ibanez ATK200 up in August for me after I mentioned in passing it was decent in a local shop. They had it on display for about 18 months with no buyers, so was pretty dirty with dead strings, so got it for a decent price (they're £289 new).

After a clean, a setup and some new Dunlop Super Brights, it is truely outstanding. The pickup and preamp are excellent, the only compromises I can find are body weight (about 10lbs) and neck finish (a light sanding has helped this).

With the 3 way double humbucker and some EQ tweaking, you can get a Jazz/Stingray and Precision sounds from it - which I was certainly surprised by. I would say it is quite in your face sound, no passive vintage tones here - raw rock tones a plenty. Ibanez don't seem to have a decent following, but this really is a Stingray on a budget.

Edited by Machines

Always like the look of those basses and it's a stunner in that colour combination!

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1451912523' post='2944449']
Ibanez don't seem to have a decent following, but this really is a Stingray on a budget.[/quote]

I think they really do have a more than decent following and a reputation for well made basses that really
punch above their weight in terms of value.

Stingray comparisons aside, I know these are always compared to them but I think they've got such a
great look and sound. That you can pickup a bass like that for less than £300 is crazy!

Edited by Subbeh

I generally see Ibanez basses in metal bands and not much else. Despite being around for 30 odd years with their own models and brand, they don't seem to have the status deserved.

The new SR models with Nordstrand pickups look wonderful.