Why become a member? ×

Traynor TS-50 extra watts... (micro poweramp?)

johnnysomersett

I have an old Traynor TS-50 combo on its way to me because, well,[i] that[/i] grind.
It's almost certainly going to get cut down to just a head to feed into proper cabs and I've been googling my arse off (and asked a bit over on talkbass) trying to find a micro poweramp I can strap inside the head sleeve and run off the line out.

Really trying to avoid having a separate rack-type amp - for cosmetic and for convenience reasons.

So, ideas? 500w minimum, can take a line in/preamp signal, can handle 4ohm (2x SVT15's) and can fit into this...

I think the measurements in there are gonna be approx 350W x 200D x 100H (mm) or 14" x 8" x 3.5"

The only thing Ive found so far that seems right is the SWR Amplite - but try finding one of them!
Budget is about £250-ish I guess

You might struggle to find anything compact with 500 watts for £250, unless you get lucky with a second hand amp. You'll probably find that using an ordinary bass head through the effects return or power amp in will work OK and be easier to find than a dedicated power amp.
Although there's something appealing about using weird old bits of gear (and I've certainly been attached to some myself at times), for a gigging setup that gets that sound you could also look at the Tronographic Rusty Box pedal which is apparently based on the TS50 preamp, and run that into whatever bass head suits your budget.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1451818373' post='2943581']
you could also look at the Tronographic Rusty Box pedal which is apparently based on the TS50 preamp, and run that into whatever bass head suits your budget.
[/quote]

It does seem a bit illogical to use a heavy old amp just for its preamp. Having said that the distortion circuit it uses seems to be quite unusual, schematic is [url="http://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/files/traynor/traynor_bass_ts50B.pdf"]here[/url], Looks like a 3 band transistor distortion. As you say though it looks like the Rusty Box uses the same circuit. There are some other pedals around using the same idea but they tend to be expensive boutique jobs like [url="http://vfepedals.com/triumvirate.html"]this one[/url].

A dual band distortion might also do the job but those are also somewhat thin on the ground.

This is crazy because I am in the same quest for the same reasons with my ts50b. I have a rusty box but it's still great to have the ts50b. I can mail you some photo's of mine. I has a spare box from an old Matamp and the pre it's in there so i might be able to fit a crown power amp but i would prefer to fit a mini poweramp into the back of the traynor sleeve like you're on about.