Why become a member? ×

Fitting a new neck — Harley Benton / Fender

biro

So, here's the thing: courtesy of CamdenRob, I've obtained a wonderful Harley Benton JB-75. It's a deko one, but I find it plays much better than many other fender-like basses I've owned. The one thing that troubled me—a low fret—was easily fixed and it is now a very well playing jazz bass.

And yet, as a serial tinkerer, I have been thinking about replacing the neck one day, to fit something nicer and fancier—Status, if money is no object. I am perfectly aware this may sound crazy and not worth the trouble, but the body is gorgeous and light, and I like the Wilkinson pups alot. Why not, then?

The heel measurements seem to allow the fitting of more or less any direct replacement, but I am lightly worried about the hole alignment.

So, Q #1: has anybody tried fitting a Fender-replacement neck on a Harley Benton bass?

And, Q #2: what should one do in case of non-aligned holes? (Of course, companies such as Warmoth and Status offer non pre-drilled necks, but you get the picture.)

Thanks!

Why not take a neck off from a Fender and try it out? I appreciate this may entail meeting up with a willing owner of a Fender/Squier owner, but I'm sure the meet up could be interesting.

I doubt the holes would give you a perfect line up. So you could simply, bite the bullet and buy a used Fender neck and if the new holes clash with the old positions be prepared to fill the holes on the neck with cocktail sticks and glue and re-drill the new holes.

The ideal solution could be to drill out the old holes and fit dowels, but I'd give the cocktail sticks a go.

[quote name='biro' timestamp='1451738627' post='2942927']
And yet, as a serial tinkerer, I have been thinking about replacing the neck one day, to fit something nicer and fancier—Status, if money is no object. I am perfectly aware this may sound crazy and not worth the trouble, but the body is gorgeous and light, and I like the Wilkinson pups alot. Why not, then?
[/quote]

But also, why? What is so much better about the fender neck than the hb neck? I can understand the status, that is different.
I think the HB sounds very nice but surprised about the light comment, mine weighs a ton, a lot heavier than my Fender Jazz

[quote name='biro' timestamp='1451738627' post='2942927']
And, Q #2: what should one do in case of non-aligned holes? (Of course, companies such as Warmoth and Status offer non pre-drilled necks, but you get the picture.)

Thanks!
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure that Status necks only come non-drilled.

The only option with non-aligned holes is to dowel the holes in the neck & re-drill them.

Another thought; if the body is very light, and you're adding a more substantial neck, are you at risk of introducing neck dive?

If you simply don't want the HB logo, why not get a knife blade and scrape the logo of and re-finish the headstock? That's the route I'd go.

Spooky, I asked the same question today on a different part of the forum………..

I'm looking to fit a HB neck to a Fender Style body, I'd appreciate it if you could measure the heel of the HB Jazz neck please…….

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/276007-harley-benton-neck-size-question/

You guys raise some valid points. The neck is actually really nice, and I also like the fact that the radius is not as small as on many Fender and Fender-replacement necks. The fretwork is very nice too, and I am not at all bothered by the HB logo. This is mostly something I've been thinking about because I just can't seem to stay put...

Woodinblack, my HB is in fact remarkably light—for an HB, perhaps. Granted, it's not the lightest bass I've owned, but it is much lighter than many others I've had. I think this time around the ash body makes a difference for a change.

Paul, I'll try to take some measurements tonight and get back to you.