Why become a member? ×

Buzzing bass cab - please help!

Sausages

Hi folks. Just wanted to ask a question about a amp head and cab I bought from eBay recently. It's a Marshall 3520 200w amp head with a Marshall MBC 8 x 10 cabinet (bought for amp head, cab is mental, and too big to lug around).

Anyway, the cab sounds like it has an army of bees playing comb and paper in it; it just buzzes non stop whilst I'm playing through it. The guy who sold it said that it was only a couple of years old, and had not been used much. I disconnected one of the speakers in it, which made a little difference, and also hammered an extra bit of wood in (no nails) for support, inside the cab. It's a 1200 watt cab with a 200w amp, so it can't be overpowered.

Just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem, and if they managed to fix it. Any help much appreciated. I would like to sell it on, but can't do it in current state :(

Cheers :)

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1451681248' post='2942480']
Could be a torn speaker, or a cone coming away from the surround maybe. Does it do it at all volumes and on all notes/worse on some more than others?
[/quote]

Follow this through, disconnect each speaker in turn, it might be one or more.

Could be a torn speaker, or a cone coming away from the surround maybe. Does it do it at all volumes and on all notes/worse on some more than others?
[/quote]

I had this happen a few years ago with my old 1212L cab. You couldn't see anything wrong with the drivers but it turned out there was a very small area of the dust cone not being sealed properly, so was vibrating against the driver cone. A bit of PVA glue fixed it and its been good ever since.

Sounds like the OP might have a similar issue.

[/quote]

Check the two 'duff' speakers for signs of this - they can be repaired (if you are lucky). I destroyed a peavey BW speaker with cone detaching from surround - failed to really recognise the issue before damage done, lesson learned. I did get 25 yrs out of it though :)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1452028267' post='2945747']

Check the two 'duff' speakers for signs of this - they can be repaired (if you are lucky)...[/quote] But (to the OP) don't make the mistake I did on my first ever speaker repair, don't use superglue. Use something which dries less brittle so the repair lasts...

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1452041454' post='2945902']
But (to the OP) don't make the mistake I did on my first ever speaker repair, don't use superglue. Use something which dries less brittle so the repair lasts...
[/quote]

I use Copydex for these sort of minor repairs to speakers, it's latex based so stays flexible and sticks well to cloth and paper pulp.