Why become a member? ×

BEHRINGER BDI21 - how loud?

stevie

Will the Behringer BDI21 work as a standalone bass preamp to drive the balanced, low impedance input of a professional power amp? There are no proper specs on the Behringer site and reviews on the web suggest it might not be loud enough. Has anyone tried it (or the Samsamp)?

my sansamp will if you push the "1/4 inch out boost" button. don't know about the behringer.

edit: didn't seen the "balanced, low z" part of your post. i honestly don't know, the DI out of my sansamp seems to be at about line level, which makes me think that it would not be ideal for getting the most out of the power amp.

Edited by escholl

[quote name='stevie' post='284094' date='Sep 15 2008, 10:14 AM']Will the Behringer BDI21 work as a standalone bass preamp to drive the balanced, low impedance input of a professional power amp?[/quote]

I think it's unlikely. The DI output is very puny and when I've used it to DI into a PA it's needed the gain wound well up on the mixing desk.

[quote name='pete.young' post='286094' date='Sep 17 2008, 05:36 PM']I think it's unlikely. The DI output is very puny and when I've used it to DI into a PA it's needed the gain wound well up on the mixing desk.[/quote]

Thanks, Pete (and escholl) - that's what I was afraid of. I'd hoped to be able to put my power amp into service by using a cheap Behringer preamp in front of it. It looks like that wasn't a great idea after all.

[quote name='escholl' post='286956' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:43 PM']what if you used a different cheap preamp, and rack mount it along with the power amp?....there must be something out there what would work[/quote]

I suppose the Behringer V-Amp Pro might work, but I had one of those and it broke. It is more complex than I need anyway. Apart from that, preamps seem to be more expensive than pre/power amps nowadays.

I have an active bass with a 3-band EQ - so the preamp doesn't need to do too much. I just need enough level for a +4dB power amp input.

Ideas?

my housemate has one of [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3717"]these[/url] he uses for acoustic guitar, and i've been pretty impressed by it, considering the price. If you've got a bit more to spend, one of [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Studio-Projects-VTB-1-Mic-Pre/54W"]these[/url] is again, very impressive for the price. Haven't actually pushed a power amp with either of them, however i'd imagine them both to work perfectly fine, as they seem to put out a pretty strong signal.

[quote name='escholl' post='288663' date='Sep 21 2008, 06:28 PM']my housemate has one of [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=3717"]these[/url] he uses for acoustic guitar, and i've been pretty impressed by it, considering the price.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not a great believer in valves. I think I'll keep looking for a pucker bass preamp.