Why become a member? ×

Pantomime - the agony and the ecstacy..

Dom in Dorset

I have a regular paid gig in the pit band for a pantomime. The set usually comprises a mix of current pop, classic pop, songs from shows and Disney films.
This year's high point :
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDZ9I3p7xBE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=kDZ9I3p7xBE[/url]

This year's low point:
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNQRtmIMxk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=8DNQRtmIMxk[/url]

Edited by Dom in Somerset

One of my most memorable gigs was playing in the pit orchestra for pantomime in the now long gone local theatre, all red velvet seats, dark wood and steep tiers.

Watching the antics of the cast as they rehearsed, big egos, the sulks and tantrums when lines were cut, blaming the band when cues were missed, fantastic entertainment.

The shows though were brilliant with audience participation at full volume and a 9 piece band blasting out, I particularly remember a Boxing Day Childrens Matinee when the audience had all been given a bag of sweets. It wasn't long before the little horrors were throwing sweets at the drum kit which was raised above the pit, confectionary rained down until it sounded like an invisible Keith Moon was playing!

I would jump at the chance to do another.

Edited by kev b

I'm sure the band always has more fun than everyone else.

Even with a score and having practiced your part the MD will always make adjustments on the fly, and there's always a bit of comping to do when the 'talent' goes off script or miss an entrance. :D

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1451341077' post='2939756']
I'm sure the band always has more fun than everyone else.

Even with a score and having practiced your part the MD will always make adjustments on the fly, and there's always a bit of comping to do when the 'talent' goes off script or miss an entrance. :D
[/quote]or shoots 1 and a half bars in front of the band!

I was on tour of a musical once and all the band were discussing their horror stories. My mate told how he was doing Panto somewhere and it was pretty high tech. The bass and strings and guitar etc were on track. Just drums and two keys live. All the score was on tablets and synced obviously. One night a few tunes in, he said over the PA you heard the windows shutting down motif and it all went off and there was just drums and vocals left playing. ha ha. excellent!

Edited by Lord Sausage

I've been doing it for five years now and the cast have mostly been great. The only problem I can remember was last year , the ugly sister had to sing "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" . They kept complaining that we were playing it too fast (we were playing it at the same tempo used in rehearsal) so we slowed it down by 5 bpm. It was still too fast , we slowed it again , and again until it crawled along . They then complained it was too slow!

That interesting. I had a similar problem with Wake Me Up by Wham. It turned out to be the drummer who was playing straight across a certain vocal line that should have had a triplet feel. The singer just couldn't get the words out right because the rhythm was wrong.

We spent ages trying to get the right tempo, until I went and listened to the original.