Why become a member? ×

SOLD: offers over £3250 for original pre-CBS 1963 Fender Precision Bass
£3750

Bassnut62

Price Drop....now open to offers over £3,250 for a quick sale for cash.

This is a genuine Pre-CBS Fender bass, which I have owned since 1995. It is Lake Placid Blue with a white (now mint green) pick-guard and Brazilian rose wood finger board on a maple neck with clay dots. It has been refinished, probably a very long time ago, possibly in the 1970s. The refin was done to a very high standard with period-correct lacquer and colouration. It has since aged nicely.

The original spaghetti logo is present & correct. When I bought the bass I had it completely taken apart to check the originality of everything. The neck is stamped 5 Jul 1963 C for the neck profile which is comfortable and typical of a vintage Precision. Even the thin vintage frets appear to be original.

The body is swamp ash and is therefore relatively light; it has the bump under the neck socket, clay dots on the board and a strap button behind the headstock, as original P basses of ths era should. I am told the original pots are present and correct, but the wires have been replaced. The internal part of the input jack socket has been replaced. The pick ups are the original ones and the bass sings with a beautiful warm woody tone.

The truss rod moves freely and does its job. The vintage frets are good. The bass currently has a nice medium low action and it could probably go even lower if required.

The pick up and bridge covers are modern; however I had them aged by a professional restorer, so they look right on the bass. The case is a modern Fender hard-shell case.

This is a 99% original 1963 Pre-CBS Fender Precision Bass, apart from the case and ashtrays. The bass sounds great in any musical setting from Rock to Jazz, to Soul to Funk, to Reggae to Punk and always cuts through the band. I have the orginal receipt from when I bought it in '98 from Musical Exchanges in Birmingham and a certificate of authenticity from Phil Boot, who was a legendary expert on old instruments and a great guitar tech in these parts. Phil reckoned this was a very good and authentic bass indeed with an excellent refin; and he should know, having sourced guitars for the likes of Brian May and Angus Young.

Cash on collection is preferred; but shipping by courier could be arranged by buyer at their own cost and risk. PM me with your email address and I will send you more photos.

I am looking for sales only, please; as this bass needs to fund a guitar purchase. Thanks.

Edited by Bassnut62

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='RJB280' timestamp='1452328787' post='2948849']
They have a real beauty in the gallery Camden, it's a 64 in only white, I have played it and it's to die for however, they are asking £4500 so a 63 in lake placid looks like great value to me. Good luck
[/quote]

Thanks RJB, it is a lovely bass this 63P and I think it is very keenly priced. There's been quite a bit of interest from various quarters, but nobody has yet come up with enough cash to take it home.....Luckily I am in no big rush.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Weekend bump to let you all know this stunning 63P is still available for offers above £3,250.
In the words of the great Phil Boot of Long Eaton, the refin was done '.....with correct period lacquer and colouration - an extremely fine example, very rare - very collectable and faultless playability and sound'.
Come and check it out!