Why become a member? ×

Sterling SUB ray 4 by musicman

Froggy

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1451253158' post='2939151']

Offtopic:

That's Ruaridh. I love his playing. Check out his other band Triptych and Flo :)

[/quote]

I've seen him with a few bands and I really like the sound of that Vintage bass. I've seen the Dark Jokes a few times playing live on the Mound. Their live sound is better than their recorded stuff (I bought a couple of CDs), which I put down to Ruaridh's bass playing (I think he's quite a recent recruit and not on the CDs) His playing is very tasteful and melodic.

An absolute treat to play, but mine is a 2015 model and that hot preamp issue still very much exists, which is utterly inexcusable in my opinion as they've known about it since the bass was launched in 2012.

But buy one. You won't be sorry. Brilliantly balanced, sonically speaking, and as I said, a great bass to play. You can always drop a new preamp in it down the line (I intend to).

Thanks for all the replies, I went ahead and bought it today. I got the walnut satin one that I liked the look of, I guess if the satin finish doesn't start wearing off that tells me that I'm not playing enough lol.
It felt very natural to play, and didn't feel any heavier than my current 100 quid Washburn. I'm really happy with it so far.
Also had a play with a real stingray. I shall have gas for one of those for a very long time!

Would someone mind explaining what you all mean by the preamp running hot please? I'm still very much a clueless noob when it comes to technical talk lol.

Edited by Froggy

Somebody might be able to explain it better. But it's a very bright sound, great for cutting through the mix in a band setting.

But all Stingrays are like that. That's what makes them stand out. That big humbucker is a big part of it.

For instance, if you was to take a passive p bass and compare, you'll notice the difference

But with any bass, use your eq to get the sound you want. Maybe even try flats

Listen to Louis Johnson.....better yet listen to Stomp by Brothers Johnson and that will give you a good idea of the sound

Edited by R.I.P.

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1451382577' post='2939956']
Thanks R.I.P. I noticed that the limiter on my amp comes on even at low volume to kill the distortion. I'm guessing that this is an effect of the hot preamp.
[/quote]

You are better keeping the controls on the bass flat till you get used to it.

Check this out Froggy from BBG.....some food for thought

http://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/gear/electronics/pickup/what-upgrade-options-are-available-for-a-sterling-by-music-man-s-u-b-ray4-bass.html?utm_source=e%3ABass+Newsletter+%28CL%29&utm_campaign=73a4e4e11b-Rick_clone_with_extra_strings&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7f44bc0250-73a4e4e11b-19966245&mc_cid=73a4e4e11b&mc_eid=08c040c602

Edited by R.I.P.