Why become a member? ×

Small practice preamp advice

crashdesk

Hi all,

Here is brief explanation of what I am trying to achieve.

I need something to pick up and go, with ease and be able to practice anywhere. After conducting a few searches I immediately can up with iRig, Vox amPlug, Apogee Jam.

I just need to know what is achievable and best suited to what I require. In theory I will have my passive musicmaster, iPhone/MacBook, headphones and a tuition book. Ideally the device would be powered by the iPhone/MacBook. The less cables etc the better. The device needs to allow me to play along to tracks in iTunes/YouTube etc. The amp modelling features are not that important. I will also be burning tracks from lesson book CDs to iTunes and playing along.

Thanks!
Clint

Edited by crashdesk

The Zoom B1on, although it has more features than you need, would do the job. It will run off USB power and you'd need only a cable from headphone output on your iDevice to the B1on's aux input. Plug headphones in to the B1on's headphone output and job done.

The iRig HD seems to be along the lines of what I am looking for. Couple of questions.

1. Can I play along to YouTube videos/music in the YouTube app
2. Can I play along to iTunes tracks
3. This link http://www.osirisguitar.com/iphone-guitar-interface-shootout/ states that the signal is not amplified. I have a passive bass and really need to bouts the signal.

Reason I ask is the it looks like you have to launch an iRig app? Is that correct? And from what I know you cannot run two apps side by side ie YouTube and iRig

Thanks
Clint

Edited by crashdesk

B1ON does everything you want, runs for days on batteries including rechargeables and has all sorts of useful extras including a metronome, drum patterns and a tuner. Sounds good through headphones too and is plenty loud enough and you can get a good mix whatever bass you use. It's one of those things that just works. Well made for the price too.