Why become a member? ×

Totally noobie level effects question(s)

Frankieabbott

Are pedals like horses for courses.....does each one get used for a specific style that you want to play your bass? Or are some pedals more generic....and can be used in context with differing playing styles? And, if you were to recommend just one pedal, what type....and how (in very basic laymans terms so that I can understand) it alters the sound of your bass.

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='Frankieabbott' timestamp='1449408144' post='2923225']
Are pedals like horses for courses.....does each one get used for a specific style that you want to play your bass? Or are some pedals more generic....and can be used in context with differing playing styles? And, if you were to recommend just one pedal, what type....and how (in very basic laymans terms so that I can understand) it alters the sound of your bass.
[/quote]

Some are quite generic, like equalizer pedals and compressors that are used for all kinds of music, others are more associated with certain genres, like envelope filters that are common in funk music. There are no rules though, use any pedal that adds something that sounds right.

I suggest you listen to the bass in songs you want to play, and then try to find out how that sound was achieved.

Edited by FretNoMore

If you know nowt about effects, then get a multi effects unit. They can be picked up for cheap enough & you'll get to learn what different things do.
Once you get to know them, then you can get the individual ones in (potentially) better quality to build your own sound.

Like is said above, there are no rules to using effects, just as long as it sounds good.
I played in an acoustica band with a pedal board suited to dubstep & we got many compliments.