Why become a member? ×

Klystron head. Info?

Thunderpaws

Was in Kenny's Music today for a couple of minutes. There was a head there that looked like an ABM500 but had a silver face plaw and FUgly knobs. It said Klystron on the front in script font. Does anyone know anything about it? I had a wee Google search and a search on the Ashdown site but didn't see it.

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1449353133' post='2922918']
If it looks like ABM that's probably one of the jest versions, made in 97-98. The amp name was changed later to ABM due to legal problems with the Klystron name.
[/quote]
Could be. I take it your phone changed first to jest! It's not the one in the video above. Were the first ones any good? It's got all the same knobs and sliders. Has the sub, drive and compressor.

Sub, Drive and Compressor was EVO III so it won't be an early one, it'll be some weird special run of some sort from a few years ago. I saw a black-panelled one with brushed aluminium knobs earlier this year, that was called a Klystron too IIRC.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1449405289' post='2923183']
Sub, Drive and Compressor was EVO III so it won't be an early one, it'll be some weird special run of some sort from a few years ago. I saw a black-panelled one with brushed aluminium knobs earlier this year, that was called a Klystron too IIRC.
[/quote]
I had a 500w Klystron like this, it was basically an ABM in a bigger, heavier wooden case with lots of emptiness inside. The black fronted ABM with brushed knobs was a limited edition tart up jobbie that Ashdown put out for a short while a couple of years back.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1449396853' post='2923080']

Could be. I take it your phone changed first to jest! It's not the one in the video above. Were the first ones any good? It's got all the same knobs and sliders. Has the sub, drive and compressor.
[/quote]

Yup, that was my phone ;-) As far as I remember there would be no compressor in evo I, which is basically renamed Klystron. Some of them were slightly wider than newer versions. Tube drive and octave are from the beginning.

As good as any other ABM :-) Maaaybe it has more mojo, because first ones were handbuild in Mark Goodays living room ;-)

Edited by mazdah