Why become a member? ×

Oh yeah!

Si600

I did my very first live stand up in front of people and make a fool of yourself tonight at Rushden live music night at the conservative club. It could have gone better and definitely showed up the gaping holes in my playing but it was good fun and I'm definitely going back the week after next if anyone fancies a laugh at my expense :)

I need to work out my transposition though, the first guitarist singer I worked with used a capo, so not only do I not know any Bob Dylan, I also couldn't follow his fingers. I did get some rock n roll later in the evening so could bash out the old 12 bar which was really good fun and look like I knew what I was doing ;)

[quote name='Lo-E' timestamp='1449194002' post='2921498']
I won't laugh at your expense; everyone has to start somewhere. Congrats on getting up in front of people!
[/quote]
yep know the feeling and right now as well- first time I tried it (in front of local church audience, most of whom work at my daughter's school, and I [b]totally train-wrecked[/b]. I missed two nights due to commitments and barely played for three months. Last friday I was able to go.

The host pointed to the house guitarist (as he himself had his hands full) and the HG suggested Johnny B Goode which I'd only heard a few times on the radio. After a quick run through in the hallway we went on and I honestly think none of then had knowingly heard a bass before - it had just been fairly a bit folky and acoustic, apart from a redhead doing a jazz flavoured version of "I will survive" which was quite enjoyable. I played a few notes of "all along the watchtower" to get host get my level through the PA and it was probably a bit loud as everyone looked around in shock.

Apart from a brief memory loss moment ( I stopped, thought, counted, jumped back in on the 1), it went really well and the crowd went wild. Several people complimented me on tone and "that lovely old jazz bass" (its a battered sunburst & tort [b]precision[/b] into a zoom B2 on just Ampeg SVT setting). Partner said "would you do it again?" "hell, yeah" I said.

my advice - buy a cheap acoustic bass then you can rough ideas with people in a quiet corner; taking an electric doesnt work unless your amp is very portable and there is an AC outlet in that corner

minor embarrasment point - i was wearing a belt, the tongue was sticking out from the buckle as they often do when you forget to tuck it into a belt loop. Redhead took a picture which looked exactly like I'd forgotten to zip up ...

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1449225053' post='2921650']
Congrats, that's ace! I get nervous playing with anyone looking at me (ie trying a bass out in a guitar shop) so I think it's awesome that you got up there! You've come away with some stuff to learn, so you'll be a better player next time you're up!
[/quote]

You can always Do the stand in the back by the drummer thing. No one Will see you.

Blue

Edited by blue