Why become a member? ×

Changing the PUP in a S1 Precision ?

Adee

Now call me silly . . . . (YES I'M SILLY :) )
BUT
I took my Fender S1 Precision apart to change the the stock pick-up to a Lindy Fralin and ended up putting it back together as is cos' it looked a right faff to do. Extra wires for the usless S1 and all that gubbins.

I suppose the answer is to pop the new pup in 'wire for wire' but has anyone actually performed this operation? What do you do?

Cheers for you help

Ade

Edited by Adee

[quote name='Adee' post='282596' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:13 PM']I took my Fender S1 Precision apart to change the the stock pick-up to a Lindy Fralin and ended up putting it back together as is cos' it looked a right faff to do. Extra wires for the usless S1 and all that gubbins.
I suppose the answer is to pop the new pup in 'wire for wire' but has anyone actually performed this operation? What do you do?[/quote]
Email Fralin and ask them to explain the process. I'm sure they would help.

[quote name='Muppet' post='283087' date='Sep 13 2008, 10:43 AM']I've replaced quite a few pickups in Precisions with S1 switches. How many wires does your Lindy Fralin have?[/quote]

Just the two - one white and one black !

Any advice ?

Cheers Ade

[quote name='Adee' post='282596' date='Sep 12 2008, 01:13 PM']Now call me silly . . . . (YES I'M SILLY :) )
BUT
I took my Fender S1 Precision apart to change the the stock pick-up to a Lindy Fralin and ended up putting it back together as is cos' it looked a right faff to do. Extra wires for the usless S1 and all that gubbins.

I suppose the answer is to pop the new pup in 'wire for wire' but has anyone actually performed this operation? What do you do?

Cheers for you help

Ade[/quote]

I know what you mean by faffing around....I thought the same when I changed my S1 Jazz pickups. Not a fan of the S1 myself!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='283578' date='Sep 14 2008, 11:19 AM']I had mine replaced by a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder-my local shop did it, so I don't know how it was done, but the pot was replaced as well. I had to get new knobs, as I was left with a volume knob with a hole in it where the S-1 button used to go.[/quote]

I replaced mine with a Q/P and I kept the S1 switch, no problem, no need to replace the pot.

Adee, i need to have a look inside my current Precision as I wrote down the details a while ago and can't find them. Bear with me. It's not that complicated. I'll get round to it tonight for you.

Steve

Right
OK, this sounds like a faff but it isn't really!

Traditional precision pickups WITHOUT the S1 had three wires, one from each pup and one joining the two together - hence wired in series. Like your Fralins.

Precision pickups WITH the S1 switch actually have four wires - two from each pickup (yellow and black from the rythmn pickup and white and black from the lead). They act as two independent pickups like a Jazz bass. The S1 switch allows them to be switched between parallel and series.

SO, what you need to do is convert your two wire Fralins to be four wire Fralins.

When I installed my QPs I left all the wires attached to the pots as they were and unsoldered the wires from the pickup terminals that I was taking out. I then resoldered the wires to the terminals on the new pickups. Normally you'd leave the wires attached to the pickups and solder to the pot connections so this way is the other way round.

It's not a lot of extra soldering to be honest, though I would say that having S1 switching on a Precision is pretty much useless, as parallel mode is truly rubbish. Given that Fender have done away with it for this year's models I'd be tempted to swap out the S1 pot for a regular one, keep your Fralin as stock and sell the useless S1 switch on ebay or fit it to a Jazz bass.

Hope that helps

Steve