Why become a member? ×

very compact 115

ebenezer

hi folks, i would like to scale down my existing 115 which is a custom build!
the cab is fitted with a faital pro pr 400 which i like. I intend buying another
pr 400 and use cabs in a pair for larger gigs.
the cabs that interest me are the bag end s15d , markbass ny 115 and new mesa 115 and just
wondered if anyone has some info the design, plans etc.
you can see the basic size of cab i'm looking at. I do know there will be
a steep roll off on the low end, but i never really liked wooly sub bass and
much prefer a good lower mid push.

ps....the cab will be tweeter-less

The Faital works quite well in a 50l cab tuned to 40Hz which is about the size of the Mark Bass NY 151. you'll lose about 5dB at 40 Hz and get about an extra 1db at 110Hz. Pretty much what you expected I think.

Coincidentally the speaker would just fit in the 112 cab we have designed for the Beyma SM212 and if you use the 26cm ports it will tune to 40Hz. I'd adapt that cab by making it a couple of cm wider just to fit the 15" driver a bit more comfortably and then cut the depth by 1.5cm so the volume stays the same, but you could just squeeze the Faital in.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227904-1x12-cab-design-diary/

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1449171454' post='2921326']
Orange OBC115 is a brilliant 15" cab,check the specs and replicate or look around and get one for about £200 S/H.
[/quote]

The Orange OBC115 looks very close in design to the old TL606 DIY plans which can easily be found online, although I don't know if the port tuning is the same. It's not a particularly small cab for a 1x15" - the TL606 plans are 3.2 cubic feet or about 86 litres and it sounds like the OP wants to go smaller than that.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Here are my thoughts... buy a Barefaced Compact G1 or G2.

Save yourself some cash and get one of the best performing and most lightweight 1 x 15" cabs on the market.

I think there's nothing out there to beat these cabs at the moment for the money they change hands for.

Frank.