Why become a member? ×

Power supply advice needed

dub_junkie

I'm just about finished putting together a board of LIne 6 tonecore single pedals (Filter,Compressor,Overdrive,tremolo,chorus and Echo) - primarily for the guitar but theres 2 or 3 which are a bit tasty on the bass too.
Question is can anyone recommend the best power supply for all these. I see a lot of power banks and multi adaptors but unsure which one to go for. Anyone running these pedals on their boards ? and is there anything I should know ?
thanks

Look at the pedals and they should have a current rating (Ma) add them all up, and you need a PSU that can supply that current. I would get a PSU specific to pedals as they tend to be less noisy and supply more current. I know laods of people have the Diago one, I have a Godlyke, the rest get quite expensive I think so I would get one of those.

Somebody told me the power filtering in Line 6 pedals is piss poor and if you use a single PSU and daisy chain them, they can produce hum - I tried it once with a crap PSU and got hum, but never with my Diago.

The suggestion was made that the best thing you could do with Line 6 effects was to run them off individual power supplies.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='282350' date='Sep 12 2008, 09:11 AM']Somebody told me the power filtering in Line 6 pedals is piss poor and if you use a single PSU and daisy chain them, they can produce hum - I tried it once with a crap PSU and got hum, but never with my Diago.

The suggestion was made that the best thing you could do with Line 6 effects was to run them off individual power supplies.[/quote]

this is true. however, as long as each supply is isolated from each other (such as in the Dunlop brick and others -- NOT daisy chained ones) there shouldn't be a problem. :huh:

and if line6 knew how to do their job right, there wouldn't be a problem at all. :)

[quote name='escholl' post='282551' date='Sep 12 2008, 12:26 PM']this is true. however, as long as each supply is isolated from each other (such as in the Dunlop brick and others -- NOT daisy chained ones) there shouldn't be a problem. :huh:

and if line6 knew how to do their job right, there wouldn't be a problem at all. :)[/quote]

I did try one of those and it still hummed. Mind you, it wasa cheapo maplin one

thanks for the advice. I dont like the sound of having 6 of the Line 6 psu's. apart from the cost that would just be a right royal pain in the erse. I;ve got one of the LIne 6 DC-1 power supplies but been using a couple of the other pedals with duracells,and they eat their way through them. I think the minimum draw is something like 70ma. Looks like I'm going to have to soldier on with the XT Live till I can find a viable solution. shame as I prefer the sound of the pedals over the multi fx board

would it be worth contacting Line 6 or are they just going to tell me to buy another 5 DC-1's?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='282565' date='Sep 12 2008, 12:37 PM']I did try one of those and it still hummed. Mind you, it wasa cheapo maplin one[/quote]

the maplin one doesn't have isolated grounds between effects, and in doing some further research, neither does the dunlop haha. to get isolated grounds, you'd need to go to something like the voodoo pedal power or the burkey flatliner

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='282878' date='Sep 12 2008, 08:12 PM']thanks for the advice. I dont like the sound of having 6 of the Line 6 psu's. apart from the cost that would just be a right royal pain in the erse. I;ve got one of the LIne 6 DC-1 power supplies but been using a couple of the other pedals with duracells,and they eat their way through them. I think the minimum draw is something like 70ma. Looks like I'm going to have to soldier on with the XT Live till I can find a viable solution. shame as I prefer the sound of the pedals over the multi fx board

would it be worth contacting Line 6 or are they just going to tell me to buy another 5 DC-1's?[/quote]

line6 will probably just tell you to get another 5 dc-1's. the best bet is to just spend the money and get a power supply that has isolated grounds between each effect, or get rechargeable batteries i suppose...