Why become a member? ×

Ultimate Relic?

Karl Derrick

This is a 'Rat Jazz' bass I just finished.
I wanted to see how far I could go with the relicing thing. Pretty far it seems
:)
Admittedly it's a real statement, and won't be to everyone's taste.

I really like the concept of 'Rat Rod' cars and wanted to apply the same idea to a Jazz bass.

The body is Oak. The neck is one piece Maple, Fender licensed. Pickups are Fender USA AVRI 75, the bridge is Fender too.
The scratchplate is leather. Weighs about 9 Pounds.

I wanted to get the feeling that this had been built in someone's barn.
The body's features were there in the wood, I just enhanced them. The Oak is ebonized and sealed with Melamine lacquer.

It's strung with Roundwounds and is woody, bright and clean. The action is Fender factory Spec but can go either way easily. The trussrod is smooth.

Karl

[attachment=205725:rat beautysmall.jpg][attachment=205726:ratbacksmall.jpg][attachment=205727:rat04.jpg][attachment=205728:rat06.jpg][attachment=205729:rat09.jpg][attachment=205730:rat13.jpg][attachment=205731:rat12.jpg][attachment=205732:ratbeauty2small.jpg][attachment=205733:ratdetailsmall.jpg]

Ebonizing is an old traditional technique for making wood dark.
You make an iron/acetic acid solution and it bonds with the Tannin in the wood, causing it to grey and darken.
Works well on Oak, as it has a lot of Tannin.
It makes new wood look aged and weathered.

The pickups are new. The covers have been removed and cut down and inverted to support the pickup from underneath and leave it fully adjustable for height.
I cloth-taped the windings to protect them, then artworked the pickups to make them look old. No real rust :)

Karl

As you can gather from my avatar, I'm a leather worker (among other things).
I discovered the leather I used for the pickguard when looking for ancient looking stuff for a film prop.
This leather has a stiff cracked surface, but is actually flexible. The cracked surface is stable and bits don't fall off.

Karl

[attachment=205747:rat07.jpg][attachment=205748:rat04.jpg]

Edited by Karl Derrick