Why become a member? ×

can someone please send me a copt of tabs for Teen Town I wanna (try) and learn it!

zawinul

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1448021129' post='2912337']

Quite literally pissing myself!! best thing ive ever seen!!!
[/quote]

Oo a Wal as well ..........

I learned Teen Town amongst a load of other Jaco stuff probably about 10 yrs ago - I copped out when I realised I was making v v v slow progress on the bass solo on Havona - I got about half way through and realised it was ludicrous even trying to learn it.

I've kept Teen Town in my home noodle routine (I have never come across anyone else who can play the other parts!!) and thought - I'll never use it - however I play in a funky/souly blues band and for a laugh I played the first few sections of it as part of a bass solo in Cissy Strut - played in a jam session. What was even more fun was a few acts later a million notes per second bassist was obviously influenced by it and played some out of context descending semi tone stuff. All v tongue in cheek!!

I think learning JP stuff and particularly in the context of the chord structure and some of the bass part structures has taught me a lot, which I have used in other, more sensible contexts.

As with learning several other things (eg the unison riff in Sir Duke) - Teen Town is a great test to see if that GAS inducing vintage guitar or amp/cab in the shop can keep up - or at least whether your playing of it sounds as good as playing it on/through your own equipment/instrument!! I have to say some I've tried have been an abject failure - such as a 76 Stingray through a flip top Ampeg - which on playing the Sir Duke unison riff had no sound other than fret noise from the top three notes owing to a serious neck issue!! I may not have found that out quite so quickly and emphatically!

Edited by drTStingray

• 3 years later...