Why become a member? ×

Flats... On a MM ?

Wonky2

I've had my Ray (EBMM 4H, 2EQ) for about a year, and I recently moved to flats. Previously I had DR Hi beams, and now I have d'Addario chromes.
They're completely awesome - I'd never go back. I play fingerstyle funk/pop/rock with a tiny bit of slapping. I just love the clean thump that you get - it's unbeatable and cuts through the mix so easily without needing to be loud.
As commented earlier, you _will_ need to adjust the setup - flats are denser than rounds and therefore you'll need more tension for the same note. I had to tweak the truss rod a little (about a half turn, from memory, but obviously YMMV).

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1447678358' post='2909411']

Have you also tried TI flats? How do they compare tension wise if so? I really like the low tension of the TI flats but I'm interested in trying out the cobalts.
[/quote]

I have TI flats on a Classic Ray and EB cobalt flats on a fretless 3 band Ray. The tension is very similar IMO. The TI flats with the 2 band Ray can get a decent slap sound - indeed the band I play in has a couple of songs with slap - one has a solo and I've used the Classic Ray without a problem, simply tweaking the onboard EQ.

The fretless with the cobalt flats is quite interesting - the sound is quite unique it's closer to having rounds sound wise but the feel is as per flats. I've wound the mutes on slightly on the E and A strings to get more thump and take the mwah a little - leaving the D and G to sing freely - which they do very nicely. I've played a couple of gigs with it and am very pleased.

Well worth the added expense in both cases for me. That said I also have a Ray or two with zingy rounds so can get that fix if desired!!

Interesting to see the Nile Rodgers tweet. I read somewhere that Stingrays were shipped with flats until 1978 when they changed to rounds. BEs Ray was a 77 so will have come with flats and he was famously interviewed stating his strings were the ones which came on the bass - I'm guessing that was around 78. Also, as a BE fan trying to emulate his sound with a Stingray from around 1980, the one element i could never get to sound right was the popping on We Are Family - until I played it on my Classic Ray with TI flats. So I think that song was played on the Stingray with flats.

I wonder what point he actually changed over?

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447754313' post='2909959']
Yes. Apparently he used the stock flats that came with the bass and never changed them, a la Jamerson.
But I don't know if that's a fact or a myth.
[/quote]

Not sure they came with flats.. mine didn't. Around 82-ish

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1447836785' post='2910733']

Not sure they came with flats.. mine didn't. Around 82-ish
[/quote]

They came with GHS flats up to circa 78 when they changed to GHS rounds. Mine also came with rounds in 1980. BE's was a 77 bass. IMO flats on a Stingray make the biggest difference to the timbre of popped notes and perhaps enable a bit more thump.

If you bought yours new JTUK, 1982 is quite a late pre EB and well into the Jackson made period.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1447846470' post='2910854']
They came with GHS flats up to circa 78 when they changed to GHS rounds. Mine also came with rounds in 1980. BE's was a 77 bass. IMO flats on a Stingray make the biggest difference to the timbre of popped notes and perhaps enable a bit more thump.

If you bought yours new JTUK, 1982 is quite a late pre EB and well into the Jackson made period.
[/quote]

LIttle local store and it hung around I believe so anywhere around 80-82,
I could probably date it by the music shop owners...but yes, new and with rounds.
I believe it predated Music Mart in Canterbury...or certainly the end of that shop.