Why become a member? ×

Dean DOA '09 Bass

jimbartlett

Hi there,

I've mentioned this before a while back but we are now at the stage where the Bass is going to go into production.

Basically Dean guitars make a DOA (Dean Owners of America) Bass and Guitar each year. The DOA '09 Bass is going to be a "V" model as shown below. The specs are on the main thread which is [url="http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49848&start=800"]HERE[/url]. 25 Basses are made in total and each are numbered. All you need is a small deposit and then you can be added to the list of recipients. The Basses will be ready about April next year so there is plenty of time to save up the money. For a guide, the last one made cost me £400 in total (including shipping). I imagine this will be roughly the same.

If you are interested, please go to the thread [url="http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49848&start=800"]HERE[/url] and make yourself known.

Thanks for looking!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='280408' date='Sep 9 2008, 02:54 PM']Oh my god, that's insanely pretty![/quote]

I like it too, especially the cream binding. It will continue around the headstock on the finished model not just as shown in the picture. I have the Dean ML equivalent of thisBass. The neck pickup has the same sort of growl that my Gibson Thunderbird gives off. For passive pickups they really kick out. It plays like butter too, hopefully this V Bass will too! :)

I rather like V basses, but you have to have the right person playing, a weedy little bugger just wouldn't look right. I think that could look cool on the right person. Plus the maple top and paint job is just stunning. Also that's an insane price for a limited run of 25 custom basses!

EDIT: pics of last year's?

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='lwtait' post='280480' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:35 PM']you know, flying V guitars are one of the coolest designs around. flying V basses just look wrong. same applys to semi acoustics, too. on the other hand the gibson firebird is nowhere near as cool as the thunderbird.[/quote]

I think each to their own really mate. Personally I would love a Gibson Flying V Bass but I am not in the position to shell out the ridiculous amount of money you need to buy one. I half agree with you on the Firebird though, I think the black "studio" model looks really cool but I'm not a big fan of the Firebird V model which is more expensive.

[quote name='lwtait' post='280480' date='Sep 9 2008, 04:35 PM']you know, flying V guitars are one of the coolest designs around. flying V basses just look wrong. same applys to semi acoustics, too. on the other hand the gibson firebird is nowhere near as cool as the thunderbird.[/quote]

I'm kind of with you there - I love spikey guitars - particularly V's and BC Rich's but I just can't get into the same shapes on bass. They look cool sitting there, but I don't think they look right when someone's playing them.

That Dean looks lovely - though I'd never want one myself. Strange.

Update the Bass build is going ahead, we have the approval from Dean to build them. A deposit of a 1/3 of the value of the Bass (TBA) is required by 31st October 2008 with the finished article(s) expected around April 2009 where the remainder will need to be paid. As I said before judging from past efforts, they will mostly likely be around the £400 - £500 mark.

Here is the link to the official "sign me up" thread, please jump in if you are interested.

[b]CLICK HERE -----> [url="http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56206"]DEAN DOA '09 BASS[/url] <-----[/b]

Thanks,

Jim.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='284537' date='Sep 15 2008, 09:18 PM']Considering that one of their most famous endorsees (Dimebag) was shot dead on stage, naming any guitar the DOA seems a little misguided.

Hmmm, [i]Dreamowners of America[/i] anyone? Nooooo, the first thing most people would think is Dead or Alive, or, Dead on Arrival.
P[/quote]

They have been naming the custom runs "DOA" since before Dimebag was shot dead. I can see your thinking though.

Just taken a look at that Bass and wow that is very nice. I've just registered for an account on the Dean forum with the intention of putting my name down for one. As long as it does run at the expected £400-£500 I think my bank account won't suffer too much as well.

[quote name='kemra' post='287118' date='Sep 19 2008, 10:22 AM']Just taken a look at that Bass and wow that is very nice. I've just registered for an account on the Dean forum with the intention of putting my name down for one. As long as it does run at the expected £400-£500 I think my bank account won't suffer too much as well.[/quote]

Excellent, nice one mate! People are getting on the list at a rapid rate so you have done the right thing jumping on now before they run out of spaces. The price is going to be annouced by the end of October with deposits required by the end of December, the final payment would be due around April next year. There is plenty of time to save up :).

They have updated the photoshop to show the creme binding on the headstock now too. I don't know if it's going to happen but, we are thinking about having DOA # of 25 written on the truss rod cover as well as stamped on the back of the headstock.

Edited by jimbartlett