Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF800 - Durability

siphillips

Hi all ! ,

Few years back I had a PF500 ampeg head, low and behold it had all the problems everyone complains about ( overheating and shutting down and the fault light coming on) I was told by an amp repair guy that the components in the head are not durable for the power consumption and apparently ampeg had a lot of returns on this model due to this.

Has anyone bought the PF800? if so any problems?

Thanks

Simon

I was a victim of the PF-500 issue, however after being sent back to Ampeg, it has not failed on me yet.

I actually tried out the PF-800 last Saturday, as I wanted a little bit more head room. To be honest, there was not much difference between the two and definitely glad I did not fork out the money for the PF-800.

But, in regards to reliability, yes I have heard the same.

Received wisdom from the internet (so it must be true...) is that neither the 350 or the 800 had the same issues as the PF500. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the more recent PF500s have also been trouble free, and as an owner of a more recent 500 (bought new about a year and a half ago) I'm hoping that's true!