Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big Twin 2, worth the upgrade from my 4x12 rig?

Ruck

[quote name='IanA' timestamp='1446157668' post='2897460']
I was actually going to recommend not playing in a corner where possible...
[/quote]

Ha! ok thanks, I generally dont have the option anyway and try to keep close and behind the drummer in most scenarios (due to total lack of monitoring). There seems to be mixed opinions on positioning in corners.

Edited by Ruck

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1446186171' post='2897528']
A grid of 4 speakers generally has the worst dispersion characteristics of any speaker config due to having phase cancellation in both the horizontal and vertical planes.
[/quote]

My 2x12s have a diagonal array so im hoping its not as bad as you suggest!

Edited by Ruck

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446165593' post='2897506']

You will if the 212 is a Barefaced cab.

I'd email Alex and put your questions to him. He'll explain it better than we can, make better recommendations and he won't sell you something that won't work.
[/quote]

Yup. When I switched from a 1x15 plus 4x10 stack, I had an email convo with Alex where I said I was looking for a couple of 2x12 cabs. He could have sold me 2, but instead said I'd only need the one, and gee whizz, he was correct. Top marks for integrity. Many others would have skinned me.

I've played a lot of gigs with GK cabs, I started with a 2x12 Neo then added a 1x15 Neo for bigger gigs then replaced the 2x12 with a 4x10 Neo. The are all very capable cabs, I especially liked the 2x12 on its own in small to medium sized pubs.

I've been using 1 or 2 Big Baby 3's for the last few months and they have been a revelation. I use one in small to medium pubs and both in big venues, they go so loud and stay clean throughout. To answer the original question, I am normally on wireless and tend to go walkabout for the first song to check level and balance and I can say that the GK's were easy to lose when you walked around - especially the 4x10 - the Babys sound the same pretty much everywhere you go, very impressive.

My only regret with getting the Babys is waiting so long, they are light and sound superb. As a die hard GK man I'd say take the plunge, either one Big Twin or two Babys - doesn't matter too much - you won't regret it

Edited by BanditSid

[quote name='BanditSid' timestamp='1446232589' post='2898035']
As a die hard GK man I'd say take the plunge, either one Big Twin or two Babys - doesn't matter too much - you won't regret it
[/quote]
+1, I moved over from GK cabs and am really impressed with my BB2, I paired it with a super midget though, so I can have three different set ups. The dispersion and sound quality is fantastic. I missed some of the GK tone so got hold of an mb800, now this set up is everything I can wish for!

I moved from an Aguilar GS412 and bought a Big Twin 2. I was unsure at first, going from 4 12's to 2....... I've got to say you don't need to worry about volume or dispersion . The BT2 is a fabulous can if you want to be heard clearly no matter where you listen from . It is very flat, that took me a while to get used to. Fabulous tone, loads of volume and depth, and such a breeze to haul about compared to my old 412. Game changer :)

I've just spent the evening hooking up all of my new toys. I can't wait to plug in the Big Twin tomorrow to see what it all sounds like. I've treated myself to a QSC power amp to drive it with masses of clean power. I may have to warn the local police station before I turn it on!

[quote name='symcbass' timestamp='1446450719' post='2899371']
Running the BT2 with a power amp made such a difference in sheer force of volume and projection, enjoy:)
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to moving some air! Thank you!!! - The only downside is that it's a dual channel power amplifier and I like running effects in stereo sometimes... which means I NEED to hear what it sounds like with two BT2 cabinets. Overkill? ha! my middle name! :) :) :)

Would absolutely recommend the Big Twin, collected mine a couple of months ago after using 2 BC212 with the TC BH500 head for 5 years.
I can absolutely say that it's transformed my sound, I would struggle to get good top end from the TC cabs and now I have no issue. I play in a LOUD rock band and even though it's one cab, I can hear myself no problem without monitoring, even with our drummer, and he hits hard.

Alex is a great guy, when I first spoke to him there was an issue with cost (what I could afford at the time from the BF range would have been inadequate for my needs) and he then gave me advice on how I could improve my sound with the equipment I had. Top bloke.

Also, I can't believe how lightweight the cab is, a real bonus when you have a shoulder problem like myself!