Why become a member? ×

Markbass NY121 cab HEAVIER than CMD121P!!

eParrot

Well this is rather peculiar.
I just treated myself to this very popular set of combo and matching cab. Lifting the two boxes I noticed one was significantly heavier than the other. Simples, I thought, the heavy one must be the combo, the lighter one the cab. Right?

Wrong

They're both Indonesian made, bought new at the same time at the same shop. Today.

What the dickens is going on? Different magnets? Different cab construction?

Pleased so far but flummoxed and slightly concerned...

I noticed the same with mine - both Indonesian and bought within a few weeks of each other. Sadly I can't tell you what the weight of the combo was as-new because I've taken the Combo Head 2 out of mine and replaced it with a Little Mark 800, but the LM800 is definitely heavier than the CH2 so the combo will be slightly heavier now than it was when I bought it and there's still over 1kg difference between the combo and cabinet.

Modified combo in roqsolid cover = 12.68kg.
Stock cabinet in roqsolid cover = 13.82kg.

My best guess is that some of the reduction in weight of the combo comes from the wood that's missing to allow for the amp head, and some of the extra weight of the cabinet is in the metal top handle and tweeter attenuator that the combo doesn't have; the rest that I can't visually account for I've just put down to construction / bracing, and I've never let it unduly concern me. Most of the time I only need to take the combo out to gigs, so that being the slightly lighter half of the rig is just a little bonus.

NY121: 13.7 kg
CMD121P: 12.0 kg

Cheers Ed_S, valid points.

At the moment I can't see myself not taking the cab out with me. Even if I don't need the load drop / 500 watts I get a much fuller sound with the full set.
Might be the HF attenuator doing its thing. Will do a couple gigs and then take the piezo and crossover out of the circuit in the combo and see what happens.

How come no guitar amp I've ever seen needs a tweeter but bass amps mostly do? Bonkers. I play a p bass with thomastik flats. I won't miss it.

Cheers all for your comments.