Why become a member? ×

Filling and re-drilling

kevbass

Hello folks, ok I got my hohner p bass copy (very pleased with it too) the only flaw is that the strap button or pin doesnt sit very tightly in the top horn, I mean it stays put but I cant get the screw to tighten past a certain point and Im worried one day during a gig its going to ping out of the horn altogether. I took it off and it looks like the strap button has been changed a few times and as a result the hole drilled into the horn has widened and deepened over the years. I would like to know do you think it would be possible to fill this hole and then re drill it? And if it is possible how strong would it hold the screw in once redrilled?
thanks all

Edited by kevbass

An easy (and permanent) fix which I've used on more than one of my basses in the past is to use remove a small sliver of wood, big enough to fit into the screw hole easily, from a good piece of softwood with a craft knife (Stanley knife). Apply a liberal amount of wood glue to the sliver and push it into the hole. Remove any excess glue with a damp cloth. When the glue is dry, trim the excess wood off with your craft knife.

Don't be tempted to use match sticks as they tend to chew up easily when tightening the strap button screw.

As I mentioned earlier, I've used this technique on a few of my basses in the past where a previous owner has swapped the original buttons for strap-locks, which normally have a bigger screw, and then removed them before selling the bass on. Once done, I've never had to worry about loose strap buttons again.

Mark

[quote name='BigRedX' post='278996' date='Sep 7 2008, 10:41 AM']Cocktail stick(s) as many as required to fill the hole wood glued into place. When the glue's dry, cut flush with the surface and drill a new pilot hole for the strap button screw.[/quote]
Plus the one. Works for any hole, any size you need to fill - just use more cocktail sticks. I use 2-part epoxy which fills any gaps between sticks without shrinking, and also means the glue sets & holes can be re-drilled pretty much straight away.

Jon.