Why become a member? ×

MIK Fender??

LewisK1975

Spotted this on Ebay just now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Bass-MIK-1990-USA-Accessories-and-outstanding-condition-/262086982600?hash=item3d0599fbc8

Didn't know there was such a thing as an MIK Fender?

Happy to be proven wrong! - I've just never seen one before...

I thought I recognised that verbal diarrhoea. Here's his Silver Squier for sale. He's asking about £150 more than it's worth. I think it's just a MIJ neck bolted to a 'who knows what' body. Silver Squiers all had a brass earthing strip from the bridge to the rear pickup, this one doesn't. Which means it will either buzz like crazy or it's not a Squier. A Korean Fender is probably not a collectors item either. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUIER-by-FENDER-Silver-Series-Jazz-Bass-USA-Accessories-CUSTOM-COLOUR-VGC-/262087208146?hash=item3d059d6cd2"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3d059d6cd2[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote]I have got or have had Fenders and Squiers from every production location they have ever used (including India and that one really did have an aroma of curry!).[/quote]

When did Fender EVER have a factory in India......

This guy is so full of it

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1444676147' post='2885036']
When did Fender EVER have a factory in India......
[/quote]

Sunns & Squier IIs were made in India. Unlikely that Fender actually owned a factory there any more than they do in Japan, Korea, Taiwan etc.

Regarding MIK Fenders, I'm no expert (usual disclaimer!) but I'm fairly sure in the 80s & 90s only Squiers would've been Korean. The first MIK Fender I remember noticing was the Jazz 24, from about 10 or so years back.

Jon.

[quote name='Macker5' timestamp='1444667196' post='2884925']
Although........that serial number on the headstock does not appear in the Fender link in post #2!

Is that a serial number on the back of the neck?
[/quote]

I'm no expert, but having trawled a few Fender serial number sites, S plus 7 digits doesn't appear to match [i]any[/i] Fender factory's serial number format.

S plus 6 digits was in use in Japan 1994 to 1995 and 2004 to 2005, but that's about as close as it gets. :huh:

At a guess, the headstock one's fake - it wouldn't have both!

SO + 6 digits is apparently 1990/91, as he claims. KV, however would be a late 90s Squier serial - the first 2 numbers giving the exact year, but are too indistinct to see in the pic.

So - I think it's a Squier with a dodgy headstock transfer. Maybe he didn't notice the heel one or just couldn't be arsed. :rolleyes:

J.