Why become a member? ×

P bass obsession!

kevvo66

I played my first one in a shop in 197cough cough aherm.......... well you can tell how long ago it was cos it was brand new and stood next to it was a brand new Fender Bass V - I remember thinking that was mighty cool as I'd heard Jack Bruce had dabbled with one - at that time Fender could do no wrong basswise in my eyes and it was years before I realised they were capable of releasing monstrous flops like the bass V and even that peculiar baritone bass V1 thing beloved of Shadows officianados, responsible for Duane Eddy thick twang like melodies on Jet Harris pieces and even by Hank B himself once or twice.

Anyway back to Precisions - I really really really wanted one of these back in the day but unfortunately never actually got one, using a Jazz copy for years - probably wasting money on booze and ciggies so I could never afford one. I have spent a sum total of probably a dozen hours in the last 10 years or so trying out countless of them but I still haven't found 'the one' - I have come close but no - unfortunately once or twice I have progressed to trying other makes on the same occasion and thinking to myself - hmmm I'm not so sure I actually NEED a Precision as it is no longer 1968. I'm sure I will buy one one day though!!

So I'm not sure you have an obsession or not - when I was obsessed with them I hadn't even noticed my two favourite bass players Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser didn't play them, such was the allure of the Precision (and playing an EB3 NEVER entered my head) - and I also thought that many tracks with nice bass on them were Precisions and it turned out they were Rickenbackers shock horror!! So maybe it is an obsession but who cares as they are good basses - phenomenal in some hands (Alan Spenner, Alan Gorrie, Larry Taylor to name three - before even thinking about the Motown guys). I dunno perhaps we should all just get out a little more....... i think I'm addicted to bass rather than any specific make and maybe that is an obsession in itself.

Edited by drTStingray

Bought my first precision in 1963 - used. Had to sell it less than a year later to fund the guitar I needed fro the next paying gig.
Didnt realise how special 62s were till I finally got another P Bass in 2009. Mexican. Hm.
None of the basses I had in the intervening period did it apart from the Working Bass. A P-J setup.
And I finally got back to a 62 P bass this year.
Well sort of.
I am now the proud owner of a 62 reissue USA P Bass complete with the proper case.
My original went round in its fender cardboard box till it got stolen from the guy I sold it to in 1964.
Not one of the three of us could actually afford the bass AND a proper case.
Memories.... :D