Why become a member? ×

short arms

Geek99

I'm struggling with the "thumb in the back of the neck" thing as trying also to do one finger per fret is killing my forearms (the part of them which is facing the floor) when I practise. Does everyone go through this or should I go for the easier "thumb over" copout?

btw I have a a Vintage Stingray copy, in case neck dimensions are significant here. I dont really want to go short scale if it can be avoided. I also have fairly stubby fingers (although I'm working on stretching their spread), I notivced in another thread that someone else with the same short fingers foudn a jazz bass easier.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' post='277806' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:43 PM']I'm struggling with the "thumb in the back of the neck" thing as trying also to do one finger per fret is killing my forearms (the part of them which is facing the floor) when I practise. Does everyone go through this or should I go for the easier "thumb over" copout?

btw I have a a Vintage Stingray copy, in case neck dimensions are significant here. I dont really want to go short scale if it can be avoided. I also have fairly stubby fingers (although I'm working on stretching their spread), I notivced in another thread that someone else with the same short fingers foudn a jazz bass easier.[/quote]

Definately have a go with some other basses perhaps till you find a good fit...I didn't find the length of a 'Ray a problem, but then again that's probably cos my arms are proportioned like a orangutang!

Don't do one finger per fret on the lowest frets, do 1,2,4 and get used to shifting. Also experiment with shortening the strap and hanging the bass at a steeper angle to reduce the stretch. If you have short fingers then correct thumb position and using a thumb pivot will increase your reach significantly. Keep practising but don't hurt yourself!

Alex

[quote name='Geek99' post='277806' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:43 PM']I'm struggling with the "thumb in the back of the neck" thing as trying also to do one finger per fret is killing my forearms (the part of them which is facing the floor) when I practise. Does everyone go through this or should I go for the easier "thumb over" copout?

btw I have a a Vintage Stingray copy, in case neck dimensions are significant here. I dont really want to go short scale if it can be avoided. I also have fairly stubby fingers (although I'm working on stretching their spread), I notivced in another thread that someone else with the same short fingers foudn a jazz bass easier.[/quote]

Try practicing sitting down and putting your bass on your left thigh with your foot raised like a classical guitarist, at least to start with.
That makes the "correct" hand position easier. Then you can move on once you've got the hang of it.
You may not want to use this technique on stage :)

I found that sitting position like in the above post easier to play when i was just starting out, but i moved it over to my right leg once i got used to it. It's just about practice really, keep practicing long enough and your reach will get better etc. There isn't really a correct way to play, it's just how you're comfortable. and FWIW i play with my thumb on the back of the neck and over the top depending what i'm playing.

I have short arms and stubby fingers! I found the thumb in the back of the neck was actually easier in the long run but you do have to be a little more precise with finger placement. I play precisions and have had a Stingray in the past and prefer wide necks in general. I have found three things of help. The first is to get the guitar at the right position for you, not too high up under your chin and not too low so that it's swinging round your knees. The best position will feel comfortable for both hands. The second is to ensure the guitar is set up properly. This ensures your fretting hand is not working harder than it needs to in fretting the strings. The third is as has been said, perhaps try a 1,2,4 finger combination for starters.

[quote name='OldGit' post='277839' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:13 PM']Try practicing sitting down and putting your bass on your left thigh with your foot raised like a classical guitarist, at least to start with.
That makes the "correct" hand position easier. Then you can move on once you've got the hang of it.
You may not want to use this technique on stage :)

[/quote]
Being a handy sort, I've made a foot raising platform from four blocks of wood that I happened to have lying around. I'll report back. Thanks for the tip.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='277948' date='Sep 5 2008, 03:52 PM']I found that sitting position like in the above post easier to play when i was just starting out, but i moved it over to my right leg once i got used to it. It's just about practice really, keep practicing long enough and your reach will get better etc. There isn't really a correct way to play, it's just how you're comfortable. and FWIW i play with my thumb on the back of the neck and over the top depending what i'm playing.[/quote]
thanks for that, I've gone back to basics to fix my timing and some technique issues so I'm determined to correct my hand positioning too. I'm currently torturing myself with exercises to make my third and fourth fingers work properly under control instead of doing permanent hammer-ons. I will bear in mind the idea of moving the block over to my right leg though, thats an interesting idea.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Muppet' post='278091' date='Sep 5 2008, 06:08 PM']I have short arms and stubby fingers! I found the thumb in the back of the neck was actually easier in the long run but you do have to be a little more precise with finger placement. I play precisions and have had a Stingray in the past and prefer wide necks in general. I have found three things of help. The first is to get the guitar at the right position for you, not too high up under your chin and not too low so that it's swinging round your knees. The best position will feel comfortable for both hands. The second is to ensure the guitar is set up properly. This ensures your fretting hand is not working harder than it needs to in fretting the strings. The third is as has been said, perhaps try a 1,2,4 finger combination for starters.[/quote]
thanks, by 124, does everyone mean "dont use the third finger?"

[quote name='uptonmark' post='278639' date='Sep 6 2008, 03:17 PM']short arms.................

you got deep pockets too :huh:
get a jazz bass, nice thin necks on `em[/quote]
no, normal job, partner, child, dog, cats etc usual demands on income. Hobbies are less important. My partner tends to notice if I like something and secretly buy it so I try not to make special trips to look at things.
Its a Stingray copy by Vintage (£140 or so), not a [i]real[/i] Stingray. Look for "Vintage®EST96Series" [url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintagebass.html"]here[/url] although mine is yellow like the one in the link below it.

I have always hankered after a Jazz bass but never played one. I just like the look - I will try one now since you mentioned the thin necks (which might reduce the stubby finger effect) although no music shops near me seem to stock them, either genuine or imitation. :)