Why become a member? ×

P-Bass Parts Project

kemra

As some of you guys may know from my other thread I have purchased a P-Bass kit from Ebay.

Now the kit has finally arrived I can start work on it. I plan on using most of the parts the kit comes with apart from probably better quality pots, jack and straplocks which I already have. I may also get a better bridge if I can, possibly a gotoh 201b to keep costs down.

But first of all the unfinished basswood body needs finishing as basswood is so un-impressive with a natural or Trans finish. I was thinking of a solid colour but was unsure as to what colour I should go for.

So onto my first question: What colour do you think I should go for, and should I do a matching headstock?

Also does anyone have any links with step by step quides maybe on how to paint a solid colour onto a bass/guitar?

[attachment=12959:64f1_12.JPG]

[quote name='kemra' post='277749' date='Sep 5 2008, 12:43 PM']As some of you guys may know from my other thread I have purchased a P-Bass kit from Ebay.

Now the kit has finally arrived I can start work on it. I plan on using most of the parts the kit comes with apart from probably better quality pots, jack and straplocks which I already have. I may also get a better bridge if I can, possibly a gotoh 201b to keep costs down.

But first of all the unfinished basswood body needs finishing as basswood is so un-impressive with a natural or Trans finish. I was thinking of a solid colour but was unsure as to what colour I should go for.

So onto my first question: What colour do you think I should go for, and should I do a matching headstock?

Also does anyone have any links with step by step quides maybe on how to paint a solid colour onto a bass/guitar?

[attachment=12959:64f1_12.JPG][/quote]

Heh - surf green.

As for step by step, try Reranch - [url="http://reranch.com/basics.htm"]http://reranch.com/basics.htm[/url]
Also a nice pictorial at Manchester Guitar Tech of putting together a kit guitar - [url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/kitbuild.html"]http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/kitbuild.html[/url]

surf greens cool, but lake placid blues even cooler, with a mint green, white or pearl pickguard. and matching headstock for LPB, not matching for surf green.

or CARs pretty cool, too. that'd have to have a matching headstock.

i would say salmon pink for a jazz, but i don't like it on a precision too much, but thought i'd throw it in cos its a cool colour and just cos i dont like it on a p doesn't mean you wont.

or for a more normal (or boring, whatever you want to call it) colour, black looks good with a matching headstock.

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='budget bassist' post='278652' date='Sep 6 2008, 03:36 PM']Go for a trans finish maybe? Trans blue would be cool.[/quote]

I do like Trans finsihes but basswood isnt very "pretty" so I think its better to stick to a solid colour. I quite like both Surf green and Lake Placid Blue, so I think it may come down to a toss up between those!

I have been looking at suppliers for paint for use on this project and am unable to find certain colours available from seelers in this country. I can find surf green fine but when i try looking for LPB or CAR I have no luck what so ever.

Does anyone know anyone who supplies these colours?

Edited by kemra

[quote name='kemra' post='278800' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:28 PM']I have been looking at suppliers for paint for use on this project and am unable to find certain colours available from seelers in this country. I can find surf green fine but when i try looking for LPB or CAR I have no luck what so ever.

Does anyone know anyone who supplies these colours?[/quote]

For nitro lacquer in the UK you need to contact[url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html"]Manchester Guitar Tech[/url].

I don't know about Lake Placid Blue, but the reason you can't find Candy Apple Red is because it's not a single colour but produced by spraying a transparent red over gold or silver.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='278844' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:55 PM']Maybe get hold of a maple veneer or something? That could be nice, then do a trans finish.[/quote]

Hmmmm I have managaed to find some cheap veneers available, but it makes me wonder if its worth having something like that with a scratchplate?

Maybe I'll stick to a solid colour this time around and use a veneer on the next one for a nice Trans Blue or something.

Oh and thanks for the Link BigRedX ill taker a look at what they have, might inspire to finally decide ona colour!

Edited by kemra

[quote name='kemra' post='278992' date='Sep 7 2008, 10:36 AM']Hmmmm I have managaed to find some cheap veneers available, but it makes me wonder if its worth having something like that with a scratchplate?[/quote]
It would look nice i think, but i like coffee table basses :) May be a little hard though for what i can assume is your first build?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='279186' date='Sep 7 2008, 04:16 PM']It would look nice i think, but i like coffee table basses :) May be a little hard though for what i can assume is your first build?[/quote]

Yes this is my first build :huh:

I have been reading a lot today about Fender colours, and in particular the custom colours such as LPB and CAR both of which are very appealing and great candidates to be chosen.

I'll probably make the colour decision at work tomorrow when I have some free time, that way I'll have had plenty of time to mull it over!

you can get car sprays for halfords that are a similar colour to lake placid blue, and ice blue mettalic, well, lots of metallic blues (or at least in the halfords near me). i was looking and imagining the other day when i was in there. and i know car sprays are the same as what they use for guitar finishes (or at least - i know you get a good end result when using car sprays, so im guessing thats what they use)

[quote name='lwtait' post='280606' date='Sep 9 2008, 07:06 PM']you can get car sprays for halfords that are a similar colour to lake placid blue, and ice blue mettalic, well, lots of metallic blues (or at least in the halfords near me). i was looking and imagining the other day when i was in there. and i know car sprays are the same as what they use for guitar finishes (or at least - i know you get a good end result when using car sprays, so im guessing thats what they use)[/quote]

Aha yes I can't seem to find LPB for sale on the net anywhere, so Halfords is indeed a great idea! Infact I won't be far from one at all tomorrow so I'll take a look to see if I can get a close or even exact match.

I definitely think LPB with matching headstock would look great on this one with a white pickguard.

[quote name='kemra' post='281597' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:11 AM']Aha yes I can't seem to find LPB for sale on the net anywhere, so Halfords is indeed a great idea! Infact I won't be far from one at all tomorrow so I'll take a look to see if I can get a close or even exact match.

I definitely think LPB with matching headstock would look great on this one with a white pickguard.[/quote]

good luck with that, if you can find a good match this should look great :)