Why become a member? ×

Foo Fighters and Royal Blood and Honeyblood

Thunderpaws

What a cracking gig last night. Nate Mendel had a fine array of instruments on show and his playing suitable held things together. I thought his best sounding bass was his red P, the newer one of the two he used. His old one didn't cut through as much. Dunno what pups he has but what a significant difference it made. He also brought out a white Ric that sounded nice and his other may have been a Gretsch or a Gibson semi hollow. Anyway, I was impressed with him. I know he gets slated but he showed a fine array of melodic and 8ths. If only he smiled more!

Royal Blood were pretty good too. What a set up. Does he have different strings going to different amps?

Honeyblood didn't have a bassist so I won't comment, except to say that the local girls did good.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1441820873' post='2862083']I know he gets slated but he showed a fine array of melodic and 8ths. If only he smiled more![/quote]

I don't think I've seen him slated, he's a better player than he's given the chance to show with FF but even then what he plays is tasteful, melodic and fully in service of the song.
Sunny Day Real Estate gave him more room for maneuver as player but he's never less than solid and often very interesting.

Royal Blood really do put on a great live show as well, very good choice for support for Foo Fighters.

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1441820873' post='2862083']
What a cracking gig last night. Nate Mendel had a fine array of instruments on show and his playing suitable held things together. I thought his best sounding bass was his red P, the newer one of the two he used. His old one didn't cut through as much. Dunno what pups he has but what a significant difference it made. He also brought out a white Ric that sounded nice and his other may have been a Gretsch or a Gibson semi hollow. Anyway, I was impressed with him. I know he gets slated but he showed a fine array of melodic and 8ths. If only he smiled more!

Royal Blood were pretty good too. What a set up. Does he have different strings going to different amps?

Honeyblood didn't have a bassist so I won't comment, except to say that the local girls did good.
[/quote]

My neice is stina from Honeyblood. Thanks for the positive comment. She'd love to have a bassist in the band and one day she might. I'm constantly amazed by the mighty sound she can create without one.

That's great. She did great, and Cat too. Cat used to be with one of my friends. He said she would be over the moon to be supporting the Foos. Who wouldn't be. They could do with a bass player, especially for stadium sized rock! I'm sure there would be no shortage of takers for that slot. They came across brilliantly with original sounding material.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1441831330' post='2862220']
That's great. She did great, and Cat too. Cat used to be with one of my friends. He said she would be over the moon to be supporting the Foos. Who wouldn't be. They could do with a bass player, especially for stadium sized rock! I'm sure there would be no shortage of takers for that slot. They came across brilliantly with original sounding material.
[/quote]

I think she enjoyed herself. The Foos are her fav band.
[attachment=200401:cat.jpg]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1442079507' post='2864309']
They came across very well. For playing a Telecaster guitar there seemed to be a fair amount of heft behind her notes. Does she downtune a bit to achieve this? Couldn't see her amp settings from 200 yards away.
[/quote]

She has two outputs. The EQ on the first is set as for normal guitar, the EQ on the second has the high end removed and the bottom end boosted. When combined, it really gives her guitar a ballsy sound.