Why become a member? ×

band fees and free beer

julietgreen

20 yrs ago a local Brewery might support music with a £250 'fund' ... how much they do that now, I'm less sure, altho I know Shepherd Neame around here are very active with music pubs. However, most of our pub gigs are Free houses and the LL's say they could afford ANY local band if every night was such and such at a takings level. They aren't, so he averages out his fees yearly..which is about £250-ish.

In this case one or two bands could justify asking for more but I doubt he'll go for it..but he will give a bonus if he can.
But... as i say, there will be a few bands that don't make money and you have to decide if you want to 'subsidise' them..
By and large, you decide if you like the gig or not.

Edited by JTUK

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone playing NYE in a little local pub cant really expect to make a ton of money.
They can only sell so much booze even on NYE. Whilst thy likely can afford to pay a couple of hundred quid for a band, it is unlikely to be more.
NYE is a night they too hope to make a decent amount of profit, just like we all do.
If you work pubs you are essentially a beer salesman.
If you cant increase the LLs bar takings significantly, you are not earning your keep.

Which is one of the reasons I work clubs and function-type gigs on NYE.
At least they have a decent budget in 90% of cases.