Why become a member? ×

Need good head asap...for my Ampeg SVT Classic 115

Cobretti

Hi All,

New to this forum and a bit of a luddite when it comes to understanding what amp head could be matched with a cab without blowing it out.

About to do some shows, and want a portable-ish set up. I have an Ampeg 1x15 cab, and I love the sound of the new Orange OB1 rackmountable heads - they do a 300w and a 500w version. However I note that the 1x15 cab only has 200w putput.

Would either (or neither) of the OB1's described above perform OK with my cab? I have read conflicting reports about mismatch between head and cab output. We tend to keep stage volume fairly low, so we won't be hammering the cab.

Kinda got my heart set on either the 300/500w version of the OB1, but open to suggestion if you can think of a more suitable (and portable) alternative.

Thanks for reading, any advice greatly appreciated!

Nick Cobretti

The OB1-300 outputs 300W into a 4ohm load, but if your cab is 8ohm that will most likely drop to about 180W. Likewise the OB1-500 outputs 500W into a 4ohm load, and I would expect about 300W into an 8ohm load.

Either should be fine for your cab, but with the 500, listen out for any 'farty' noises that would indicate the speakers are being pushed too hard.

As to alternatives, there are loads of affordable amps around, either conventional solid state or lightweight Class D. I heartily recommend a look through the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/20-amps-and-cabs-for-sale/"]Amps and Cabs For Sale[/url] pages - buy used, and if you don't get on with it, sell it on for about the same price.