Why become a member? ×

GK amps

stunbass

Hi .... have been using a Boogie 400+ for about 16 years , no intention to sell .

However am in the market for something cleaner and less coloured to bring out the bottom string of my Overwater 5 .

has anyone any advice on Gallien Kreuger ? .... the fusion 550 looks interesting ....will need to match the output of the Boogie though .

any advice welcome .

Hiya,

few things are gonna match the Boogie 400 for output.....

If you fancy GK and what that sort of muscle it's gonna have to be the RB2001 but you'll need 2 x 4 ohm cabs to get the best out of it

I've been around the planet with Bass amps...... for me in a live setting the GK tone works.... the tone shaping is very simple but effective at the frequencies that matter....

ATB

Mark

[quote name='Marcus' post='274205' date='Sep 1 2008, 06:36 AM']Hiya,

few things are gonna match the Boogie 400 for output.....

If you fancy GK and what that sort of muscle it's gonna have to be the RB2001 but you'll need 2 x 4 ohm cabs to get the best out of it

I've been around the planet with Bass amps...... for me in a live setting the GK tone works.... the tone shaping is very simple but effective at the frequencies that matter....

ATB

Mark[/quote]
Thanks for your comments ... do you use GK presently ? . if so what model and cabs ? .

I used to own a Bass 400+ (great amp) and a pair of GK RB700 1x15 combos. I still own a Mesa Boogie stereo power amp. I suspect the RB700 head will be fine for your power needs if you have a 4 ohm load and a pair of cabs. There wouldn't be a lot of harm going to the 1001RB model either if your budget can stretch and find the headroom is handy.

I wouldn't say the GK stuff is clean in a studio sense (studio clean amps tend to sound too sweet for me). The tweeter can sometimes be a little too aggressive for bright basses (like a MM Jazz), but you can still dial that out completely if you want. I did like the full, clean power though, it made the B string on my Smith bass sound very solid and the boost control was like having a growl dial. The GK stuff is very good value IMO, especially second hand.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='274229' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:35 AM']The GK stuff is very good value IMO, especially second hand.[/quote]

I agree - 1001RB-II for 500 quid new (if you shop around) and a very punchy, useable piece of gear. Would totally recommend!

[quote name='stunbass' post='274221' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:19 AM']Thanks for your comments ... do you use GK presently ? . if so what model and cabs ? .[/quote]

I used a GKRB700 II 210 combo with a RB210 cab making on pokey 410 rig !!

used to sound fantastic..... all the "real world" volume you'd ever need with great presence in a band mix, still not heard much to top this rig live with a Jazz bass !

Had one of my moments and sold the rig when I had a break from playing....... now i'm doing some dep work i've gone for a RB700II head which i'm using with a pair of DR. Bass cabs..... Fab !!!

I've got a deal going to P the 700 for a 1001 - don't really need the power but want the headroom...

I'm thinking of getting some GK cabs so I can take benefit of the Bi Amping again.... I'm using some heavey distortion and I like the ability to back off the power to the horns.....

Based on using just about everything else out there..... Bang for your buck in the real world, GK stuff delivers in spades !!

ATB

Mark