Why become a member? ×

nordstrand nj 4 will they work with 25k pots

lee650

Hi everyone
just looking for a bit of advice from you clever bods here on basschat, am going to buy some nordstrands for my jazz it currently has EMG JVS and a BT circuit in it, the pots are 25k for active pickups will the nordys work with the pots and EMG active circuit thanks everyone.
all the best - LEE :)

Hi
Cheers for the reply, the EMG,S are active i had them in before the preamp and it had a battery to power it, i got the preamp to counter the midrange of the pickups(they are very fat , perfect for fretless but i like a bit more bite for fretted) i gather using passive pickups with the preamp wont work so a new preamp may be in order too, but moneys a bit tight, i may well tr to sell the pickups and preamp on together i might get enough for an aguilar OBP 2 as i cant afford an east preamp (the j retro deluxe would be perfect as ive put the jack on the bottom and have a four control layout) anyway let me know what you think- thanks lee

Were the EMG pickups active (seperate to the preamp) ? If so then it could be an issue for the preamp, if not then go for it.

I think you'll need to replace the pots - your EMGs are active pickups (each has a tiny active preamp inside, in addition to the seperate preamp). The 25k pots won't be good with passive pickups attached, although you'll get some sort of output...The convention is for 250k pots for single coils and 500k for humbuckers but either will work fine - its a matter of how much high end they allow through.

BB

Hi Lee the BT controls won't work with the Nordstrands.
I use the BT system with EMG P bass and J bass pups and this has plenty of bite but the JV's are voiced differently.
Why not sell the EMG stuff and get an ACG 02 to go with the Nordys, this will give you more bite than you could ever need.
Sorry Lee, I've just seen that money is tight, so the ACG may be a no no.
Why are you going for the Nordys?

Thanks for the replies lads
youve all pretty much confirmed my fears, i suppose new pots wont break the bank, does that mean the EMG circuit will still work? ive managed to get enough money sellin a few odds and ends to get the nordys and im thinking if someone on here fancies some jv,s with a BT circuit i may have enough to get an aguilar obp 1 or 2 ( a two band is all im after for this) i think they come with the pots and arnt stupid money. Your right about the JV,S steve they are voiced to have a very faded but smooth sound, but i remember the slap sound my jazz used to have before i swapped, it had that lovely hollow punchy attack with a nice treble, the jv,s didnt sound the same, they do have a specific tone which i think you get regardless of what you put them on, this may sound crazy to some people but my jazz has a sound when played acoustically and i dont hear that sound plugged in :) what id like is the natural sound( and yes i know i should go passive, but i like to adjust at the bass coz i dont touch the amp eq).
I fancy the nordys coz i have a nordy in my musicman and i think its great, they are supposed to be really good for jazz bass and they are quite reasonably priced.
thanks again for the input ill let you know how it pans out- lee :huh:

Hi Lee the BT controls won't work with the Nordstrands.
I use the BT system with EMG P bass and J bass pups and this has plenty of bite but the JV's are voiced differently.
Why not sell the EMG stuff and get an ACG 02 to go with the Nordys, this will give you more bite than you could ever need.
Sorry Lee, I've just seen that money is tight, so the ACG may be a no no.
Why are you going for the Nordys?

Cheers BB
I didnt know that about the pots ill be looking for 250 k then

I think you'll need to replace the pots - your EMGs are active pickups (each has a tiny active preamp inside, in addition to the seperate preamp). The 25k pots won't be good with passive pickups attached, although you'll get some sort of output...The convention is for 250k pots for single coils and 500k for humbuckers but either will work fine - its a matter of how much high end they allow through.

BB

Hi Lee I've got the ordinary EMG Jazz pups in my Jap Jazz, with a J Retro. I love the sound of EMG's, as I think they give a good representation of the bass sound acoustically.
I was a bit unsure about the J Retro with the EMG's, thinking it would be too much, I needn't have worried because they work great together. I use hardly any bass, a bit of low mid and a lot of treble cut with the J Retro, if I boost the bass or mid any more it gives a beautiful barking sound that I like.

I prefer the EMG J's because they have a curved magnet in them which follows the radius of the 62 profile of my neck. I found that the A and D strings gave less volume when I used the JV's because of the flat pickup/radiused board but I love the sound of them because of the deep low end and they sound great without any EQ.

Hi steve
I did consider getting the normal EMG,S but they do havea fairly modern tone, and as ive a warwick and musicman id like to keep that old vibe with modern punch (sounds cliche'd i know but like marcus sound really), ive actually just got hold of an aguilar obp 3 off a lovely chap on basschat, so now im debating keeping the JV;S and the extra flexibility of the aggie might be qiuite nice, i am on the verge of buying the nordys though, my new quandry is, the aggie has five pots attached and ive room for four, i suppose its easy enough to buy a dual concentric for either treb/bass or vol/ pan,(and all new chrome knobs needed, getting expensive now) might go for the vol/pan with a push pull for active/passive as i do like the idea of a get out switch, which we cant do with EMG,S.
having to get my local tech to fit all theseas ive no clue about techie stuff.
I do agree with you about the A & G strings i didnt know that was the reason, as my JV Squire is based on a 62 and has the rounded neck profile, so ive found that does happen, will prob get the nordys too, go the whole hog ive recently had the jazz fret dressed and set up and a new nut fitted, so the makeover is nearly done :)
will let you know how it turns out mate-lee

Hi Lee I've got the ordinary EMG Jazz pups in my Jap Jazz, with a J Retro. I love the sound of EMG's, as I think they give a good representation of the bass sound acoustically.
I was a bit unsure about the J Retro with the EMG's, thinking it would be too much, I needn't have worried because they work great together. I use hardly any bass, a bit of low mid and a lot of treble cut with the J Retro, if I boost the bass or mid any more it gives a beautiful barking sound that I like.

I prefer the EMG J's because they have a curved magnet in them which follows the radius of the 62 profile of my neck. I found that the A and D strings gave less volume when I used the JV's because of the flat pickup/radiused board but I love the sound of them because of the deep low end and they sound great without any EQ.