Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS... STANDARD 104HR vs 104HF?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all. Come to pick your brains once more (if I may please).

Ok, so it's decided... I'm settling on the Little Mark III and a markbass 410 cab to accompany it. My question is whether to buy the standard 104 'HF' or 'HR'?

I understand that the HF is front ported, while the HR is rear ported; is there really a noticeable difference between the two? or is it just a gimmick to get a few more quid out of us? I've stories about both cabs; I'm told that that the HF appears to have a 'fuller' low end, whereas the HR has a more 'controlled' low end.

Initially, I was going to settle with the HR, for its size and mobility, but then a friend mentioned the HF and its kinda got me thinking since. Have I come down with a case of GAS (and instead stick with my gut feeling on the HR)? or is there something in the HF that I should really be considering?

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare both side by side? Is there any other criteria (aside the low end factor) to consider with each cab? I'm not necessarily asking for a 'Best and Worse' answer, more a 'Which is better suited to my situation' answer.

NOTE:
* (If not all) 90% of the gigs I play have PA support, the cab will be purely for self monitoring.
* I play a lot of different genres (Mostly funk, but also Rock, Blues etc).
* I play a lot of big stages (ie, holiday parks, halls, festivals).
* I often play in 6/7 piece bands (with LOUD drummers lol), so it needs to cut through
* I intend on only using just the one 410 (as that's simply all I have the space for).

Edited by Greg.Bassman

I owned the HR for a couple of years and if I was choosing again I'd go for the HF. There is a very noticable difference in very low end response with the HF being deeper. The HR is a very tight cab, and great if you like that sort of thing though (and it is marginally easier to transport being a few inches shorter). I reckon one of each would be your best bet :).

Best advice I can give is go to a shop & try both.

Like logo says though, 2 2x10s gives you a modular 4x10. The big benefit being that you can stack vertically for better dispersion & get the sound at ear level too. Try the STD 102 cabs.

Hi all. Some wonderful suggestions here. Thank you all for taking the time. Thank you to those who have sent me personal messages as well! :)

Ok, so I'm pretty sure that I want the HF now then; as 'moonbass' mentioned, the size between the two is marginal, so sod it, I might as well settle for the front ported if it means definition and low end.

Anybody else out there? Experiences on the HF? All feedback appreciated! :)

Edited by Greg.Bassman

I have tried both and find the front ported HF, far better tone wise than the HR.
seems to throw the sound better, slightly more volume.
lower mids nicer.

in short, i would put up with the size and weight penelty for a better sound