Why become a member? ×

New cab day! Speaker reccomendations

Stu-khag

so I'm back in a band and need a gigging rig. What with having two kids I've been trying to do it as cheaply as possible. So lo and behold a hiwatt ba115 cab comes up for sale on Facebook for 25 quid. Guy says he's had enough of it as it cut out during gig. The pic online looks good and to me looks not too big. I turn up and it's massive. Not Much bigger than the old swr triad I had but seems like twice the weight. Thankfully some heavy duty wheels have been put on it. I kind of regretting buying it as I'm sure it will be A pain if I ever gig and need to travel on my own but it seemed too cheap to pass on. Any recommendations for a speaker? Needs to be fairly cheap as that's the reason i bought it. I'm thinking around 300 watts. I should mention I dont have a head yet either. Im borrowing a trace elliot ah600 head from a friend but not getting on with all the dials.

[url="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/stulaws/media/IMG_2239_zpswa6wtof0.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Stu-khag

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1437426347' post='2825966']
It has an eminence kappa speaker in there which I took out to check. With it removed, Didn't make much difference to the cab weight at all!
[/quote]

Maybe look into getting that fixed - probably chealer than a whole new cone. Think it`s Wembley Loudspeakers that do re-coning and fixing speakers.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1437426826' post='2825970']

Maybe look into getting that fixed - probably chealer than a whole new cone. Think it`s Wembley Loudspeakers that do re-coning and fixing speakers.
[/quote]

Your best bet as it's probably cheaper and there's a chance it was chosen for that cab for a reason. If you buy a new one you need to make sure you buy one that suits the dimensions / design of the cab. I'd worry less about power and more about compatibility with the box you just bought.

Cheers for the advice guys. Looking at the speaker, its got a blue aran sticker on it which suggests its not the original. I wonder whether this has any reason for it not working. I really am regretting buying it now. I dont own a head either and it doesn't seem to have been the wisest thing to buy a cab before I have a head! For 25 quid including a roqsolid cover just seemed so good. Going to get the speaker looked at and probably move it on!

You can't complain for 25 quid. The Roqsold cover would cost more than that. Have you checked the connections? If it cut out suddenly, it would be unlikely to be a speaker fault. Probably a dry joint or worn jack socket (it looks to old for Speakons).