Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big One - SOLD
£450

Conan

Having just sold my Status bass, I find myself in the unusual position of having some cash to spend on gear! I don't need any more basses, so it's my backline that I am considering...

First of all let me say that I love this cab. It is (for me) the perfect combination of lightness, portability, size and tone. The best thing about it (IMO) is the dispersion. You really can move around the room and hear the same bass sound wherever you go! Compare that to "normal" cabs, where you have to stand right next to your cab to hear the full range sound. This cab is amazing in that respect - a real game-changer! B)

I would be very happy to keep it, but I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and have my next purchase in mind (TKS 2126), and that requires a bit more cash...

These cabs were never particularly common, and now are pretty rare. They were the flagship of the Barefaced Generation 1 range, and for good reason. If you like it loud and clear - these cabs are just what you need (especially if weight is a consideration - but even if it isn't!).

From the Barefaced website -[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [i]"[color=#333333]In January 2011 we sold the last example of the cab that started it all - the Big One. It remains an awesome piece of work, a tour-de-force that flattens most competitor's products if big clean sound is your goal... Thank you Big One, you did well, and may all those who gig with you enjoy your fatness, loudness and lightness for many years to come!"[/color][/i][/font][/size]

I hope Mr Discreet doesn't mind, but here is a link to his rather excellent for sale thread from a little while back. I can't match his incredible price, but, in my defence, my cab is newer than the one he was selling and doesn't have the issues that his did (i.e. the crack in the bottom and the relocated foot). Mine also has the metal corner protectors rather than the earlier plastic ones:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/244311-sold-barefaced-big-one/page__hl__bigone__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

I removed the top handle as the screws had become loose. I never used it anyway, but I still have it and can refit it on request (or supply it separately). It is a bugger to refit as it involves removing the drivers, which I am loath to do. It doesn't affect the operation or portability of the cab.

Condition is good for it's age, but this cab has been well-gigged by me and it's previous owner(s) and it shows some signs of wear. I got it from this very forum in trade for my Gen 2 Compact early last year.

It also has a (slightly tatty now) Roqsolid cover.

Trade-wise, I might be interested in other large (ish) but lightweight (ish) cabs (a limited field, I know!) - particularly Barefaced Big Twin, Vintage, Super 15, Super Twin; TKS, TecAmp and the like. Cash adjustments to be negotiated.

The cab is located in Newcastle upon Tyne, but I am happy to drive around 60 miles in any direction (except East, or course!) to deliver or meet. That would be kind of be Berwick in the North, Carlisle to the West or North Yorkshire to the South. I also regularly stay in Dumfries and Galloway (Stranraer area), which makes a lot of the Borders and Western Scotland accessible. I have family in Edinburgh, so that is also a possibilty... You can't say I'm not accommodating! :D

Any questions, drop me a PM! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1436173164' post='2815480']
I hope Mr Discreet doesn't mind, but here is a link to his rather excellent for sale thread from a little while back.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/244311-sold-barefaced-big-one/page__hl__bigone__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

Nope, I don't mind at all. These are really excellent cabs. Don't be put off by the fact they are discontinued, these were once Alex's top of the range product. A great combination of size, weight, portability, solid heft without boom, clarity, definition and serious trouser-flap potential. Good for any genre. In an ideal world, this would definitely be one of the big hitters in my bass-cab arsenal, but like most people I don't have the funds or the space for such a collection. It's a really excellent all-rounder and a great one-cab solution. Buy it now! :)

I took some photos last night (and even some video!) but I'm having problems uploading them :(

If anyone wants to see them, drop me a PM and I will try to e-mail them to you.

I am happy to package the cab up for shipping, as despite their lightness, BF cabs are remarkably strong and resilient! B)

In the meantime, here is a photo taken by the cab's previous owner (Big John on here). Top handle still in place...

Edited by Conan

I'm happy to say I have one of these, discreetly sitting in the corner of the lounge at home. I had it for gigs and loved the fat tone so much I use it for home practice when not gigging.

This is a great piece of kit.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436341971' post='2817167']
I'm happy to say I have one of these, This is a great piece of kit.
[/quote]

It is! :) Would you like another one? Stack of Doom.... or you could leave one at home and one at your rehearsal place... ;)

Hang on, if I got another one, so could I!! :o :lol:

Cool - so everyone who already has one loves it, and those who used to have one would have it back (if time and/or space allowed). Some measure of the esteem in which these cabs are held! :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1436356482' post='2817394']
Cool - so everyone who already has one loves it, and those who used to have one would have it back (if time and/or space allowed). Some measure of the esteem in which these cabs are held! :)
[/quote]

Just continuing a theme here..........

I had one, sold it to Discreet, and would love it back if space at Pup Mansions was not at a premium......

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1436346981' post='2817246']

It is! :) Would you like another one? Stack of Doom.... or you could leave one at home and one at your rehearsal place... ;)

Hang on, if I got another one, so could I!! :o :lol:
[/quote]

Would you like to buy one? :P

Something really cool with these is the power handling. If you're forced into a gear sharing situation and have a 500w head, the other guys can crank it up all they like and this is bullet proof.

I've got mine in the lounge at home with a LM3. I just love the tone. So does Mrs, thank God!