Why become a member? ×

Custom Shop P Bass

Macko1968

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='272084' date='Aug 28 2008, 10:03 PM']Surely the guy selling it now and the original buyer who paid £931 are not the same person?

There was some debate as to whether it was a genuine CS in the last auction and that time the buyer was Beedster, late of this forum.

I'd like to know what's happened to that bass in the meantime. Unfortunately He's not here to ask.

Edit: Clarky you beat me to it[/quote]

LOL, I was drunk one night, bid on said bass, went to seller's house the next day to collect (a mid-50's lady who knew nothing about basses other than that it was worth several thousand aparently, played the £50 piece of crap and walked out shaking my head. The neckplate MIGHT be genuine. The current seller bought it for around £500. I emailed him to say that he was taking the piss as - as a dealer - he must know it's a ringer. He replied saying the serial number proves it's a CS. If I thought ebay would do anything I'd report him.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='306631' date='Oct 14 2008, 08:48 PM']LOL, I was drunk one night, bid on said bass, went to seller's house the next day to collect (a mid-50's lady who knew nothing about basses other than that it was worth several thousand aparently, played the £50 piece of crap and walked out shaking my head. The neckplate MIGHT be genuine. The current seller bought it for around £500. I emailed him to say that he was taking the piss as - as a dealer - he must know it's a ringer. He replied saying the serial number proves it's a CS. If I thought ebay would do anything I'd report him.
Chris[/quote]

I was hoping you'd chip in Chris. :)

That pretty much confirms what everyone suspected. Plays as well as a £50 piece of crap? Was it really that bad?

[quote name='Musky' post='306911' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:27 AM']I was hoping you'd chip in Chris. :)

That pretty much confirms what everyone suspected. Plays as well as a £50 piece of crap? Was it really that bad?[/quote]

It felt like a Columbus to me :huh:

[quote name='Beedster' post='306636' date='Oct 14 2008, 08:52 PM']Oh, and I took off the neck and remember no signatures. Wonder if they appeared afterwards....?[/quote]

Bloody Hell ,man , you missed your chance there - you should have whipped out the old indelible biro and signed it !!!!

That would have been funny as it did the rounds!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='307321' date='Oct 15 2008, 07:34 PM']Bloody Hell ,man , you missed your chance there - you should have whipped out the old indelible biro and signed it !!!!

That would have been funny as it did the rounds![/quote]

I'll see what I can do next time :)

• 1 year later...

And it's back, two years on. No longer a 'Custom Shop', now just a 'Custom'

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Custom-/170510198411?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27b333268b#ht_500wt_1154"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...b#ht_500wt_1154[/url]

[quote name='Macko1968' post='271887' date='Aug 28 2008, 04:38 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ330266059121QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330266059121&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Ignoring the space cadet price, this looks a bit odd to me. CN serial number on what appears to be a vinatge series bass, in which case I would expect an R serial number. Strap button on the back of the headstock but can't see a CS logo next to it. And that neck plate is very wonky too.

I've emailed the seller.[/quote]

There are so many relic reproductions, and down right fakes around now. I would think long and hard about buying anything 'old' or CS these days unless i knew the person and history or it came from a reputable dealer and I would never buy anything like this on ebay.
I have an old Stratocaster from the Sixties, it was my Dads, What I have noticed is that the parts on this guitar have all aged at different rates, some of the screws look as if they were made yesterday, other parts have aged 'well' and its all in a completely random fashion. The middle pickup cover for example is still white, the bridge and the neck covers look like Dot Cottons teeth..... weird. Thats why I think this NOS nonsense is a waste of time and an awful lot of money. Better to get a decent bass and mod it how you want with decent pickups etc. I cannot understand the hype with old Fenders, I love Jazzers its all I play but don't forget its a mass produced item abeit a good one. Yes the old ones where better, the necks are easier to play, (but they curl and warp so easily thats why they changed them) the pickups where amazing but you can get seymours and Wizard 62's which are just as good

[quote name='dan670844' post='888997' date='Jul 7 2010, 09:52 PM']I cannot understand the hype with old Fenders, I love Jazzers its all I play but don't forget its a mass produced item abeit a good one. Yes the old ones where better, the necks are easier to play, (but they curl and warp so easily thats why they changed them) the pickups where amazing but you can get seymours and Wizard 62's which are just as good[/quote]

Mojo.

Edited by OldGit