Why become a member? ×

Fuzz on top of Drive? How does that affect the quality?

usernamefield

I'm playing using a fake guitar sound and have my bass going through a zvez mastotron fuzz pedal and a b2 zoom using an overdrive setting. It gives me a thick sound and I do like using both, but sometimes I notice that multiple notes together sounding not great and when I hold a single note it fades in and out very quickly. Also, I touching my strings makes a very loud screechy sound and I cannot mute my strings without a very loud noise. Please help. Should I get a different drive pedal? Or do the 2 just not work together

How are you getting your fake guitar sound?

Are you simply trying to make your bass sound like a guitar, or are you splitting off a signal an octave or two up for processing separately?

I sometimes do the latter (using a Fishman Fission pedal) and I then feed the 'guitar' signal through a bog-standard Boss DS-1 and into either a guitar combo or direct to the PA. Works for me.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1435311795' post='2807472']
How are you getting your fake guitar sound?

Are you simply trying to make your bass sound like a guitar, or are you splitting off a signal an octave or two up for processing separately?

I sometimes do the latter (using a Fishman Fission pedal) and I then feed the 'guitar' signal through a bog-standard Boss DS-1 and into either a guitar combo or direct to the PA. Works for me.
[/quote]
I play through a pog an octave higher. But yes, I'm simply making my bass sound like a guitar. No actual bass sound involved.

You'll never get great clarity with chords, although that depends on how much saturation (gain) you're using. Really heavy fuzz sounds aren't going to sound great with more than one note really.
Also remember that the M[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]astotron[/font][/color] is a gated fuzz (or rather it simulates a gate), so it will start looking to try and 'stop' your signal as soon as you stop attacking the note, which is why you're getting a quick decay on your notes.
Try using a Fuzz that is not gated.

You'd also do well to experiment with a parallel setup, so having two channels, one for your bass (with the overdrive pedal), and one channel for your fake guitar sound) POG & Fuzz.....or whichever way round you have it. That way, your bass sound will always rumble under the guitar sound even if the fuzz is gating the guitar signal.

Si

I do this the other way around. At the end of my signal chain is the DHA VT1 that's always on with a gentle amount of drive, and in the middle is my Coloursound bass fuzz clone. Sounds great - better than the other way around to my ears.