Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 410HE 4x10

vickers89

Hi Guys,

I have been looking to upgrade my rig from a Ampeg B Series 1x15 to a more powerful cabinet for general function style gigs with the odd festival etc. We have a robust PA setup (and normally use Subs) but obviously do the occasional gig where we don;t take due to the size of the room etc.

I am using an SWR workingman's pro 700 head in conjunction with a Furman power conditioner (I've used this for the past 5 years and the sound is great with the 1x15, but due to the cab only being 250w, just looking for a little more headroom)

I use Fender Jazz basses (American '72 re issue and Highway one) and minimal pedals (Chorus/Octave/Compressor)

Just looking for some feedback and reviews of this particular Cab. As I said, I love the overall sound of the 1x15 but would love more projection and overall volume etc.

General projection of a 10" speaker has been proven to be more clear and precise by many people in the past. (we use 10" HK monitors and often run bass through these and IS very clear) I just don't want to loose the overall bottom end of the bass sound on stage.

Cheers,
Mat

If you're loving the sound of the cab you have, but are needing more volume, get a 2nd B series 1x15.
The 10 in the HK monitor will have a good dispersion as there isn't a driver right next to it. The smaller the driver, the better the dispersion.
With the 4x10, it's gonna be louder than the single 15", but it's gonna sound different.
It'll probably have more lows than the 15 but also likely to lose the mids upwards quicker when you go off axis due to there being 2 10s on the horizon (the dispersion of a 22"), which is why the 2x12 vertical cab has become a popular choice for those needing a cab to cover the audience. A decent 2x12 should be able to shift plenty air too.
Another option is to get 2 2x10s & stack them vertically. This way you have the one cab for smaller gigs & add the 2nd when more volume is needed.

Personally though, if you like your cab, I'd do the first option.

I really liked my SVT410HE and it had plenty enough bass for me, though from posts I`ve read on Talkbass some over there regard it as lacking lows. I suppose it was more low-mids than lows, which is where Ampeg excels - imv. Whatever though, I thought it was a great cab, just too heavy for me which is why I sold it on.

I agree with the above though, if you like the sound of your current cab, get another. The addition of another of the same cab is quite amazing - whatever you currently like is doubled.