Why become a member? ×

Mixer question, XLR and line inputs

Les

This thread has learnt me a lot but still unsure on what can be used and what cant.

I have always assumed if my bass amp was to fail i could just play through the Pa from my active DI box through the line input on one of the channels of our small mixer. Some on this thread say this is not enough?

Our mixer is a small yamaha MG10XU and as well as line ins it has 4 mic sockets. This is the type that accepts xlr or jack into the same socket. According to the manual these have preamps built into each channel so would I be better putting bass through one of them if i ever needed to and if so, with or without the DI box first.

Sorry to hijack the thread

It depends on the strength of the signal coming from the bass. If it's your back up solution you may want to actually check out what level of sound your PA is capable of producing next time it's up and running.

If the active DI box doesn't actually amplify the sound up to line level then unless your signal is strong enough it will probably need to go into a channel with a preamp in it.

Unless you're standing close to the desk, say within 2-3 meters, you will still want to use your DI box to get your signal into the desk, because you don't want to be running a 5-10M jack cable if you can avoid it. Run a shorter 1-3M jack cable into your DI box and then use a XLR cable to get the signal to the desk. This avoids picking up too much noise because the XLR is a balanced cable and a normal instrument jack is an unbalanced cable.

Without experimenting with the desk you will never know if you'll need to run into the channel with the preamp or not. If you're after a solid back up solution, a simple bass preamp pedal that you could then run into a line in will offer you a back up solution plus gives you a pedal to have fun playing with your sound.