Why become a member? ×

Westfield Jazz bass (B4000)

Greggo

All goes well I'm swapping a guitar that's surplus to requirements for a Westfield jazz bass copy this week.

Ive not had a bass since January now due to selling off some kit so thinking this will be ideal as a bass for recording / occasional jamming etc.

Anyone owned one of these and what did you think? I've got a Westfield less Paul copy that is brilliant so if that is anything to go by hoping this bass will be great too!

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1433964149' post='2795532']
All goes well I'm swapping a guitar that's surplus to requirements for a Westfield jazz bass copy this week.

Ive not had a bass since January now due to selling off some kit so thinking this will be ideal as a bass for recording / occasional jamming etc.

Anyone owned one of these and what did you think? I've got a Westfield less Paul copy that is brilliant so if that is anything to go by hoping this bass will be great too!
[/quote]

I bought one of those used for £40 a while ago... and I loved it.
I installed a J-Retro preamp for a while, because I liked the extra versatility, but it's back to passive again now. I gigged a few times with it and if some of you have the bad taste to buy the reissue DVD of "The island of death", you can see an early incarnation of my band playing a version of the main theme on the bonus features, and I'm playing the Westfield there.
In short: a lot of bass for ridiculous money.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1434232972' post='2797897']
Is it 38mm at the nut? I occasionally see these on eBay but I never have any money when I do...
[/quote]

I'll dig out a ruler and check. It is a bit thinner than the Yamaha BB414 I used to have. Not sure what year this one is from. Some I've seen have an almost carbon copy of a fender headstock whereas the one I've got is bit different as you'll see. Has a gloss neck which I think I'll be taking the sandpaper to!

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1434305352' post='2798512']
I'll dig out a ruler and check. It is a bit thinner than the Yamaha BB414 I used to have. Not sure what year this one is from. Some I've seen have an almost carbon copy of a fender headstock whereas the one I've got is bit different as you'll see. Has a gloss neck which I think I'll be taking the sandpaper to!
[/quote]

Thanks, that's perfect - no need to check -
"a bit thinner than a BB414" is exactly what I wanted to know :)

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1434324152' post='2798691']

Thanks, that's perfect - no need to check -
"a bit thinner than a BB414" is exactly what I wanted to know :)
[/quote]

Haha glad to help. It ain't half a bad bass for the equivalent of £60 (the value of the guitar I swapped it with). In some ways I would have preferred a precision style copy but as was the only swap offer I got (using Gumtree) I thought I would give it a go anyway.

Having been so used to p/j it's weird having the j/j now but it seems versatile enough to be a good bass to mess around recording with!

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1434390518' post='2799161']
Haha glad to help. It ain't half a bad bass for the equivalent of £60 (the value of the guitar I swapped it with). In some ways I would have preferred a precision style copy but as was the only swap offer I got (using Gumtree) I thought I would give it a go anyway.

Having been so used to p/j it's weird having the j/j now but it seems versatile enough to be a good bass to mess around recording with!
[/quote]

Sounds like a result :)