Why become a member? ×

Quick question for the drummers

The Admiral

No, not a joke about drummers, but a genuine question- anyone heard of a kit by the name of Percussion 500? I've got a chance of one, but its being sold by the lad's mum (he's gone off to Uni and its spent 4 years in the loft) and she maintains it was over £500 when bought new, but its not a brand I know, or can find on Google. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yes, I found the electronic kits, but can't find a standard acoustic rock kit. They seem rather posh, and hugely ignorant - in that 'couldn't care less' way, so I wonder if they've been overcharged for a cheap white label Chinese or Taiwanese starter kit, by an unscrupulous seller?

Thanks

Plenty enough pictures when I searched for 'Performance Percussion drums', such as this ad...

[url="http://www.trade-it.co.uk/bath/musical/drums-percussion/drums/performance-percussion-black-TT444A827"]S/H drums ...[/url]

I haven't seen a '500' model, but judging from the others, and the ads for 'em, they look quite bland, with (as stock...) pretty nasty cymbals. The kits, s/h, seem to be offered for sale between £80-175. Depending on future use (Starter for ado..? Home recording..? Gigging..?), most drum kits can be tuned up to play reasonably well, but some can't take the punishment.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1433545395' post='2792114']
Plenty enough pictures when I searched for 'Performance Percussion drums', such as this ad...

[url="http://www.trade-it.co.uk/bath/musical/drums-percussion/drums/performance-percussion-black-TT444A827"]S/H drums ...[/url]

I haven't seen a '500' model, but judging from the others, and the ads for 'em, they look quite bland, with (as stock...) pretty nasty cymbals. The kits, s/h, seem to be offered for sale between £80-175. Depending on future use (Starter for ado..? Home recording..? Gigging..?), most drum kits can be tuned up to play reasonably well, but some can't take the punishment.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

The pictures I have seen are quite frustrating - poor quality mobile phone shot of a set up kit. It's possible to see that the hardware looks better than standard entry level stuff, and one of the cymbals is at an angle where you can see the Paiste logo. The toms are badged, but not with a brand logo I recognise, and it's too out of focus to read. The seller, mum, suggests that she paid £500 for it about 6 years ago, so it could be an entry level kit, and the hardware upgrade is wher the money went, but I'd like to know what I'm looking at before agreeing to go 70 miles to do the deal. I'm promised more pics over the weekend, so I'll ipdate when I hear more. I found a Mapex kit, which is their 500 series, but it doesn't look like a Mapex logo, and when I asked about the brand, the answer came back "Percussion 500".

Curious.

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1433663207' post='2792816']
It sounds like percussion plus' century kit. Made for youngsters. Retailed around £500 originally. Now going for less than £200 on various sites.
[/quote]

It is - good spot, and thanks. I've just found some online pictures of the Century kit and its a match. Anyone any thoughts on a fair second hand price, very good condition, with at least one Paiste large crash and stand ,in addition to the stock cymbals (hi hats and a crash/ride) and and a set of silencing pads?

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1433695561' post='2793159']
It is - good spot, and thanks. I've just found some online pictures of the Century kit and its a match. Anyone any thoughts on a fair second hand price, very good condition, with at least one Paiste large crash and stand ,in addition to the stock cymbals (hi hats and a crash/ride) and and a set of silencing pads?
[/quote]
[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1433697816' post='2793177']
£150
[/quote]

I'd concur; £120-150. Paiste do excellent cymbals, but there are also 'entry level' models which are not in the same league. If it's a 602, it's worth its weight i gold (almost..!). If it's a 101 Brass, it's good as an ashtray, or for scaring crows (imo... :lol: ), so don't go crazy just because of that label. The decent ones start with the 'Alpha' range; anything less (PST xxx...) is 'less good'. YMMV, of course, but the metal is quite different in the beginner ranges, and one can easily hear the difference..!

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1433705050' post='2793279']
[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/drums/full-sized-drum-kit-/1116754675"]http://www.gumtree.c...kit-/1116754675[/url]
[/quote]

I can see why he lost interest if it was set up like that..! :lol:

Doesn't look too bad; the bass drum seems to be an 18", and only 6 lugs, so it will be a bit of a pig to tune. Toms look like 12", 13" and floor 14" (same diameter as the snare..?), so it's what I'd be tempted to call 'jazzette' size. No problem for practising; less good for pop/rock gigs. As a general rule I'm not fond of metal snares at all, until we get into Black Beauty territory, and I'd not want to play on that one for very long (that could just be my snobbishness, of course..! :rolleyes: ). Again, for practise, and especially with damping pads, it would be fine enough. I can't see what Paiste model that is, but it looks OK; could be an Alpha, or even a 2002, which would be ace.
I maintain my pricing estimate; I wouldn't want to shell out more than £150, and would really see that as generous.
Keep us informed as to outcome if you would, please..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1433711656' post='2793364']

I can see why he lost interest if it was set up like that..! :lol:

Doesn't look too bad; the bass drum seems to be an 18", and only 6 lugs, so it will be a bit of a pig to tune. Toms look like 12", 13" and floor 14" (same diameter as the snare..?), so it's what I'd be tempted to call 'jazzette' size. No problem for practising; less good for pop/rock gigs. As a general rule I'm not fond of metal snares at all, until we get into Black Beauty territory, and I'd not want to play on that one for very long (that could just be my snobbishness, of course..! :rolleyes: ). Again, for practise, and especially with damping pads, it would be fine enough. I can't see what Paiste model that is, but it looks OK; could be an Alpha, or even a 2002, which would be ace.
I maintain my pricing estimate; I wouldn't want to shell out more than £150, and would really see that as generous.
Keep us informed as to outcome if you would, please..?
[/quote]

Thanks for the input - very helpful as I'm a tourist in this world. It seems to me that there are a huge number of generic far east kits manufactured in the same factories and sold under a variety of brand names. Ebay is whipped with the, frequently on the bass that hey are a gift which has barely been used, and now the teen is off to Uni etc. it's time to clear the loft out. I've seen a couple of Mapex kits, and some old Premier stuff which are going for about the same price, and seems to be better quality, but it's very much a first kit for me : bit of a mid life crisis probably - always wanted to play as a kid, but had neither the space or the money for kit and lessons, so ended up with guitar/bass as it wa cheaper/took up less room. Now I can afford the space (big double garage) and can afford to give it a go, and if I don't take to it, sell it on.

Any suggestions as to what to look for? I'm aware of the number of lugs being a measure, and the entry level kit cymbals are generally trash - but any pointers welcomed.

Well, if you're looking for a kit for yourself to learn/have fun on, with no (immediate...) plans on gigging or such, I'd recommend getting a kit with some 'musical' potential. Although most entry-level kits can be made to sound reasonable, it's much more difficult than with decent stuff. A few basic 'truths' (through my old ears and eyes, at least...). The most important elements are, in order, the snare, then the hi-hats, then the bass drum. Toms are fun, but much over-rated; decent cymbals are more important. A ride which irritates quickly won't incite you to play it. One crash is fine but having a second sound (another crash or a splash...) is better; one gets tired of the same old timbre all the time. A good 'kick' pedal will work wonders (not necessarily the latest 'flash' gadget, either; the 'old-school' pedals are fine, too...). The rest of the hardware is of little importance. Look at the oldies with their monochrome videos, and laugh at their ridiculously flimsy cymbal stands and all... Then listen to what they're playing and blush with shame. No 'double-braced' this, nor 'memory-lock' that; just beanpole canes (or so they seem...) that do the job well enough. Not the same for a world-touring rock drummer, of course, with a mega-buck budget, but is that what you're aiming at..?
To resume... If you're really serious about drums as an instrument, I'd say get a bloody good drum seat (or throne as they're immodestly called...), maybe even with a backrest. A reasonably stable snare stand and a good, second-hand snare. I'd recommend a wood shell, such as maple, 10 lugs, 14 x 5.5. A pair of sticks (I use [url="http://www.amazon.com/Promark-PW5AN-Japanese-Shira-Single/dp/B0002CZWV8"]Pro-Mark Japanese Oak 5A,Nylon tip...[/url], other suppliers are available...) and either a drum tutor or a decent method. The ones I started out with 'back then' may be hard to find now (Max Roach, Joe Morello...), but this one looks decent...[url="http://www.amazon.com/Total-Jazz-Drummer-Book-CD/dp/0739038524/ref=sr_1_100?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433717328&sr=1-100&keywords=drum+method"]The Total Jazz Drummer...[/url]

If, on the other hand, you'd rather take the plunge and go for the full kit, decide on your budget and get the best 'mark' that you would be happy to sit behind. Vintage is fine, if it's the reasonable names such as Gretsch, Premier, Yamaha, Tama are great for the price, too (my second kit is an old Tama Swingstar; it's done well for its age...). You really can make a big difference, though, if you can buy simply shells (no stands, hardware, cymbals...) as the price will fall a lot. Of course, you'll need to add those elements back on, but it's better to get a good deal on a Camco/Tama kick pedal than be stuck with a pressed tin aluminium toy one. Same with cymbals; a careful and patient perusal of the ads will throw up a decent pair of hats, far better than a pair of brass saucers.
Here's a method book for the whole kit, just in case, which will get you off to a kick start... [url="http://www.amazon.com/Beaten-Path-Beginning-Drumset-Inspiring/dp/0739061976/ref=sr_1_45?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433716978&sr=1-45&keywords=drum+method"]On the Beaten Path: Beginning Drumset Course, Level 1...[/url]
We'll go into heads (skins...), tuning et al at a later date...

Enough, already, as they say (or maybe too much..?). Hope this helps; maybe we'll get this Drumchat.co.uk forum up and running one day, eh..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1433714603' post='2793386'] Now I can afford the space (big double garage) and can afford to give it a go, and if I don't take to it, sell it on.

Any suggestions as to what to look for? I'm aware of the number of lugs being a measure, and the entry level kit cymbals are generally trash - but any pointers welcomed.
[/quote]

I recently sold my 70's Premier kit (big mistake) and I've a superb unused 2000 Premier snare drum with the nice parallel action snare but when I get another kit it will be something like this [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-TD-11K-V-Drums-Electronic-Drum-Kit-/271887855216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4dc76e70"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f4dc76e70[/url]
if I were to use it at home.
They can be great for gigs also.

Edited by Colonel36