Why become a member? ×

To sell or not to sell...

Josh

I think the honey moon period is over with my King Bass and SSII, whereas the 535 is the bass I keep coming back to and keeps making me smile each time, so now I'm thinking maybe it's time to move them on and put a deposit down for a new custom 535, or should I just whack a new set off strings on both the KB and SSII and stick with them for a few months to be sure?

Edited by Josh

I always have room for another Wick! Eleventy twelve pence do? :)

I wouldn't rush to do anything, you might get the 7 [s]year [/s] mth itch and want to swap back. If in a years time you still have that lust for an inferior bass to your Warwick then you should maybe think about selling. :huh:

Hey Josh, the sparkle and quailty of the sound on my KingBass suffers when the strings are a bit dead, probably the same as yours. Put on a set of new hotwires and it sings! I've got to the same point with mine a couple of times, but the new strings reaffirm your faith in the instrument.

I'm not sure why it is, but the KingBass is much more resonant than the S2, almost annoyingly so! Perhaps the cavity inside the neck is larger, or the smaller body makes more resonance run through the neck. It is a very individual sounding instrument, though.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='269974' date='Aug 26 2008, 08:10 AM']How much for the kingbass? :brow:[/quote]

Quite a bit :huh:

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='270013' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:17 AM']If you're not playing it is there any point keeping it?[/quote]

I do play them, and I bought them for specific reasons, the King Bass has always been a bass I've wnated to have since a friend let me try one out a while ago, not for the Mark King value as such, more the fact, at that point it was the most comfortable bass I had played, and I just like how the graphite neck gives it such an individual voice compared to other basses, it's just I'm pretty sure the scale isn't for me, fun for a while, but the 35" scale of the 535 is just so comfortable. The SSII I bought because I've been a fan of Dirk Lance's tone for a long time and I've always wanted to see how one played and sounded, whilst it sounds good, it just hasen't moved me enough to warrant holding onto it...yet.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='270017' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:22 AM']I always have room for another Wick! Eleventy twelve pence do? :)

I wouldn't rush to do anything, you might get the 7 [s]year [/s] mth itch and want to swap back. If in a years time you still have that lust for an inferior bass to your Warwick then you should maybe think about selling. :huh:[/quote]

Not for an 1998 model you don't!

Dare I say it, as much as I've love Warwick, my 535 beats all of the Wicks I've owned, hands down.

[quote name='Sibob' post='270034' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:51 AM']In what context are you playing them?

Bedroom? Gigs? etc

Because in my experience, a bass that feels and sounds great in one of the above situations doesn't mean it is the same in the other situation!

Si[/quote]
Both Si, I've tried all 3 in both context's and the SSII sounds weak but very nasally and growly, and the KB just dosebn't distinctly stand out, whereas the 535 triumphs in all fields.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='270069' date='Aug 26 2008, 10:34 AM']Hey Josh, the sparkle and quailty of the sound on my KingBass suffers when the strings are a bit dead, probably the same as yours. Put on a set of new hotwires and it sings! I've got to the same point with mine a couple of times, but the new strings reaffirm your faith in the instrument.

I'm not sure why it is, but the KingBass is much more resonant than the S2, almost annoyingly so! Perhaps the cavity inside the neck is larger, or the smaller body makes more resonance run through the neck. It is a very individual sounding instrument, though.[/quote]

I think I definetly will before definetly considering, but I'm thinking I'll just end up putting the new strings on, having a bit of slap, fun for a while but it'll come back again. It does feel like a novelty/gimmick bass sometimes.

Edited by Josh

I'm sure I know you well enough to know that my jibes re. Wicks is taken in the right context Josh :) and I [b]know[/b] there are a lot of basses out there that are better than Warwicks... don't forget I also own a Bolin and I've had a 'lot' of other basses smattered through my Warwick meanderings :huh:

TBH my main gigging bass for a lot of years ('91 Infinette) has been my worst sounding bass (when played in isolation) but I've yet to play anything that is as comfortable and effortless to play that just seems to 'fit' into band situations. Hence my views on holding on to both basses for a while longer.

Have you considered playing about with preamps for your various basses? I'm in the process of swapping out an MEC unit for an Aggie OBP1 just to see what it does and I confess to having put a Demeter pre into a MEC equipped SSI and it turned a good bass into a great one.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='270192' date='Aug 26 2008, 01:03 PM']I'm sure I know you well enough to know that my jibes re. Wicks is taken in the right context Josh :) and I [b]know[/b] there are a lot of basses out there that are better than Warwicks... don't forget I also own a Bolin and I've had a 'lot' of other basses smattered through my Warwick meanderings :huh:

TBH my main gigging bass for a lot of years ('91 Infinette) has been my worst sounding bass (when played in isolation) but I've yet to play anything that is as comfortable and effortless to play that just seems to 'fit' into band situations. Hence my views on holding on to both basses for a while longer.

Have you considered playing about with preamps for your various basses? I'm in the process of swapping out an MEC unit for an Aggie OBP1 just to see what it does and I confess to having put a Demeter pre into a MEC equipped SSI and it turned a good bass into a great one.[/quote]

Of course they are John :huh: I'm just trying to shake of the shallowness I use to have about Warwicks being THEE bass for me, they could still well be, but I'm just finding that my 535, although it hasn't got that classic growl of the Wicks which is what I was and still am drawn to, it's got more of a subtle warm growl which I find more suited to me, and the slap tone is sublime, and the action is exactly what I strived for on my past Wicks, but my SSII's action isn't far off so it is very playable.

Hmmm, I prefer to have a bass that both sounds good isolated and then just as good in a band context, and agan the 535 is that, from playing many siongs from different genres, I'm finding all I need to do is adjust the pan control a little, that's it, whereas the SSII and KB I'm constantly pulling, pushing, turning, before I arrive at a comfortable tone.

It has crossed my mind, but I'm not 100% certain about it.

Edited by Josh