Why become a member? ×

First ever gig TONIGHT...

Sarah5string

Glad it went well Sarah and that you had a blast and are hungry for MORE!!! :huh:

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273521' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:23 AM']The funniest moment was when we finished and went to the bar... literally the whole room left with us!!! There were about 6 people who'd shown up for the other band. .. the rest were for us and left, enmass... when we'd finished! lol[/quote]

I've seen this happen before. We went to see Primal Fear and Rage, who were the support for the tour. Rage took to the stage and it was stacked you couldn't move! It was that packed that one one person moved ten other had to follow. Rage finished their set and the venue emptied, it was like rats deserting a sinking ship!! Primal Fear came on and the place was about a third full :) Another good one was my mate fell asleep during PF on some stairs leading up to a balcony :huh: :huh:
Glad it went well for you!!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='273543' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:57 AM']Ha ha you were total crapping it yesterday and now today you're all blasé about everything. Well done doll. :)
When's the next un? Bet you can't wait.[/quote]
Well the plan is now to get cracking on our own material... so our next one will be when we've written enough songs to fill a 1/2 hr set... then we'll be BACK! MWAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

[quote name='Rayman' post='273544' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:58 AM']Well done mate, glad it went well.

Can't see what you're doing because of the lights? Can't hear what you're playing because of the monitors? Sweaty? Nervous? Welcome to the wonderful world of live music.[/quote]
That's exactly what Jam our singer said to us.. lol!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273535' date='Aug 31 2008, 09:44 AM']Thing is... we made mistakes all over the place.. but these were overshadowed by the rest of the night being so fab... but the other guitarist would've taken those mistakes REALLY personally... so in a way it worked out for the best..

My heart nearly escaped through my mouth when we started though... Have never been so scared/excited in my whole life! And for ages before I went into complete hype mode! lol[/quote]

You did exactly the right thing Sarah - ignore the mistakes, keep playing regardless and have a great time.

And I bet everyone watching enjoyed the whole thing as well.

[quote name='Musky' post='273549' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:01 AM']You did exactly the right thing Sarah - ignore the mistakes, keep playing regardless and have a great time.

And I bet everyone watching enjoyed the whole thing as well.[/quote]
Aww we did... everyone said it was great! Everyone loved the set and the covers we did and we singing along and cheering at the end of each song.. and even joining in with the banter.. the whole thing was just fantastic.. couldn't have asked for more from a first ever gig...

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='273550' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:01 AM']ooooooh and I had loads of compliments about my playing... 2 by 2 other bassist friends.. one said my timing was bang on (I thought it was rough as hell!) and one said I was sh*t hot :)
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa... :huh:[/quote]
Always good to hear great comments on your playing espeically from your peers, so well done hun!!!!

i only wish they were all like that and why couldn't my first have been like that...

just nice to hear that you finally got out there and did it, and who needs a second guitarist, we manage with one so why bands seem to think they need two is ridiculas, by not having a second guitarist means that you the bassist can fill the hole how ever you like!

keep rocking sarah!
and if you ever need storage for one of your 5 strings my rooms free! :)

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='273602' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:20 AM']i only wish they were all like that and why couldn't my first have been like that...

just nice to hear that you finally got out there and did it, and who needs a second guitarist, we manage with one so why bands seem to think they need two is ridiculas, by not having a second guitarist means that you the bassist can fill the hole how ever you like!

keep rocking sarah!
and if you ever need storage for one of your 5 strings my rooms free! :huh:[/quote]
:) I'm sure I'm ok for storage at the moment :huh:

Well done mate! the first one is always the scariest, the sooner you play the next one the better you'll soon see the nerves disappear. As for the monitors at the Varsity they are how should i phrase it?...............sh*te?

Did you stick around and listen to the other band?

[quote name='richy316' post='273712' date='Aug 31 2008, 02:18 PM']Well done mate! the first one is always the scariest, the sooner you play the next one the better you'll soon see the nerves disappear. As for the monitors at the Varsity they are how should i phrase it?...............sh*te?

Did you stick around and listen to the other band?[/quote]
lol you're telling me! The only think I could hear was my singing and that was the last thing I wanted to hear.. :huh:
We did stick around, they were really good! Proper thrash metal so not like anything we were doing at all but still good. :)

Judging from these photos, if you tilt the Laney amp back onto its wedge so that it acts as a monitor, you should be able to hear yourself better - the way it is setup at the moment most of the sound will not be reaching your ears.

Relying on the PA monitors to hear yourself can often be problematic, as you appear to have discovered...

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='274194' date='Sep 1 2008, 01:32 AM']Judging from these photos, if you tilt the Laney amp back onto its wedge so that it acts as a monitor, you should be able to hear yourself better - the way it is setup at the moment most of the sound will not be reaching your ears.

Relying on the PA monitors to hear yourself can often be problematic, as you appear to have discovered...

Jennifer[/quote]
You know... why the hell didn't I think of that??? :lol

That's great news , after just one gig.

I can help your sweaty hands. Sporty wrist bands. Also handy for a quick wipe across the forehead. You wear specs like me , anything that stops it running into your eyes where us spec wearers can't wipe it away is a bonus.

Might not fit your image but sure you could think of something - black ones maybe!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='274265' date='Sep 1 2008, 09:45 AM']Oh and in other news... had a message from the venue last night wanting to rebook and offering us headline... :)[/quote]

Way Hey! :huh:

Congratulations Sarah - that's a double finger to your old guitarist!

Your amp should be good enough to gig with for now; until you start playing on massive stages (when you'll need a stack of at least 4 cabs) :) I'd say wait till you've got a few more shows under your belt to see what you really want from an amp to get one that will suit your live playing style. I find I have to EQ my amp very differently for each room (which is usually nothing close to rehearsal settings). Did you take any of your other basses for the gig, or did you stick with the with the Megaman Explorer?

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='274299' date='Sep 1 2008, 10:37 AM']Your amp should be good enough to gig with for now; until you start playing on massive stages (when you'll need a stack of at least 4 cabs) :huh: I'd say wait till you've got a few more shows under your belt to see what you really want from an amp to get one that will suit your live playing style. I find I have to EQ my amp very differently for each room (which is usually nothing close to rehearsal settings). Did you take any of your other basses for the gig, or did you stick with the with the Megaman Explorer?[/quote]
Megaman? lol! Nah I had my Dean and my Shine 5 string. :)