Why become a member? ×

EHX C9 vs B9

AndyTravis

So we've given up looking for a keys player.

There are some tunes we just don't need keys on, and then some are really missing that sound.

Has anyone had the chance to try both of these out? I'm hoping to get a chance to sit down with both this week or so.

I tried a B9 six months ago but didn't really have a decent chance as the songs we've added to the set may be the ones which would benefit most.

I know they work on varying levels depending on note and playing style.

First hand stuff is always nice to hear.

Went to PMT in Salford, Tried them both and just for tryings sake got a Boss Multi Overtone involved to see if that would serve the same purpose.

Got the C9.

Tracks better, more variety between presets.

The multi overtone is a cool pedal though, just not organy enough.

Edited by AndyTravis

I'm gigging both on my board.
It really depends on the songs you're doing, as to which is more suited.
If I was buying from scratch again, I would probably go for the c, as it has a wide variety of tones available. Beware though - it doesn't track well below an open a, and if you're a swift player, quick quavers and semi quavers will probably not be picked up

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1433020344' post='2787202']
My B9 tracks below A no problem - but for some reason it can't handle the actual open A!
[/quote]

Yeah, it was that frequency range. The C9 seems to hold it together a bit better.

Rehearsal on Monday.

I would really like to see if I can find one lf each and do a shootout between these pedals. I don't know if/how I would/could use them in a band context but it sure would be fun!

How do you guys who alreay use them actually apply them in a live setup? Roscoe Beck style 'fake organ with chords and all' perhaps? Or mostly for intros and melodies?

I use them as thickeners.
The c9 I have on the swell setting, and b9 on fat Hammond for doubling a la Jon Lord with the purple songs we do
Occasional chords, but normally doubling what I'm playing.
I've found the best solution sound wise for me is to run the pedals to di, with a killswitch, rather than switching the pedals on and off, since there is always clean sound coming through even with the clean volume on minimum

Edited by dudewheresmybass