Why become a member? ×

Metallica

steve-soar

[quote name='steve-soar' post='269221' date='Aug 25 2008, 12:05 AM']Great, tired, Rob is a pedestrian, kids love em whatever, discuss.[/quote]

......a tad confused by what exactly your trying to say.

They were great and your tired, Rob isn't that amazing and everyone loves them and you don't know why?

Not having a go at all man :)

Edited by Josh

[quote name='ste_m3' post='269228' date='Aug 25 2008, 12:19 AM']Im watching some kind of monster on TMF now in fact, i dont know how i feel about them! heh.[/quote]

I'm in an essay writing mood tonight, so when I know what Steve means, I'm fully going to whack Puppets on and write away. I could write a seperate book alone about SKOM.

[quote name='Josh' post='269226' date='Aug 25 2008, 12:16 AM']......a tad confused by what exactly your trying to say.

They were great and your tired, Rob isn't that amazing and everyone loves them and you don't know why?[/quote]
+1 dunno what you're saying/asking

FWIW I saw them at Wembley last summer and they were on great form (as you can tell from the downloadable version of the gig on their website), Rob impressed me (even though I was a diehard Cliff/Jason fan), and I am not a kid :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='steve-soar' post='269249' date='Aug 25 2008, 12:49 AM']Hi Alien 3 fan, I should have said that I think Metallica are tired and gave an average performance.
I have seen them a few times and was wiped out by there passion, something has changed and the band I have seen was not shown tonight. Mayyyyte.[/quote]

Thanks Steve!

Right.....Puppets is on, and I'm in zee mood.

It's quite simple, depending when you saw them that is, if you saw them anytime from 1983 to at least 1999 then as a live act they were just about one of the best in the genre. They are indeed tired now, they are much older and have been through alot of stuff, like Hetfields rehab stint, which to be brutally honest was way too over hyped when compared to Dave Mustianes numerous attempts at trying to stay sober, and who suffered alot more than James ever did, I think it's 15 times altogether for Mustaine, compared to James's one time. And also depending if you have seen SKOM, you'll know about Phil Towel counselling the band for about 3 and a bit years, that along with James becoming sober completely changed them. Live, they weren't the same "Hey f***s! Shake your beers, tits, and whatever the f*** you got for this next song" Metallica, they were a "Hey guys, we love you, we love your friends, we love life, enjoy this pleasent little number called Whiplash". Also the Madly In Anger With You tour was easily their worst, they were horribly loose, James voice was hanging on by a thread, Rob was still getting into the feel of being in Metallica and the fans were trying to get use to him so the gigs were quite hostile, and the new material just wasn't cutting it, hence why they play nothing from St. Anger now, probally every now and again will they play one but very rarely in my view.

They have been working on themselves for the last 3-4 years, that much is evident from the last few fesitval appearences and the songs from Death Magentic thus far, James has revised his voice and managed to regain it to the way it was for the last Summer Sanitatirum tour in 2000, it still no where as good as it was on S&M or Cunning Stunts, but it's far better than from any gig or television appearance from 2003-2006. And Lars has seemingly gotten tighter and more quieter as well, Kirk is Kirk, he's just doing his job and that's that, and Rob has finally made his presence known. But, despite all that, the passion and the aggression which made the 1989 Seattle show such an amazing visual document, and that watching just the other day made me think the exact same as you, it's not there anymore. Yes the songs are still being played, the bass is more prominent in their sound now, but any live version ofBattery post 1999 leaves me cold, any gig earlier it's brutal, they way for which it was intended.

I guess you could say it's also down to Newsteds departure, and I'd agree, he made them a better live act, he carried them for a lot of the live shows at times, and he always kept in touch with what he knew what made Metallica, Metallica. Unfortunately he was never really allowed to make much of a contribution to the music besides recording the bass parts James told him to play, maybe a few small bits got in, My Friend of Misery is possibly that, and Where The Wild Things Are, a cruelly underrated song on a cruelly underrated album, but that's another matter. Still, he was a staple live, and his depature was the catalyst which started the Metallica of now. A more family friendly Metallica, one you could take your children to see, and not get offended by So What.

I love them, and I have for going on 8 years now, I'm not sure how evident that is :huh: But I know they wont ever be a patch on the band they were, even 10 years ago, let alone 20, and any hope for Newsted returning is firmly locked away, and is any hope for a new Master of Puppets (Disposable Heroes is on now, brootool) and I've finally learnt to accept that, still I'll always follow what they do, I'm pre-ordered and ready for Death Magnetic, and I know I must see them at least once whilst their still at it, which is quite an achievement, considering they are now not angry teens with acne infested faces, they are now acne scarred business men and family men, and in most peoples eyes, mine included, Legends.

I could go on but I wont :)

-Edit....I will actually add that at the time of recording St. Anger, they guys said "This is the album Newsted always wanted to make"........somehow me thinks not, considering he was the one who badgered them to play Puppets and Kill'Em All material mostly.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='269262' date='Aug 25 2008, 01:28 AM']Did they do Stonehenge? :wub:[/quote]

Nah but they've met Spinal Tap.....twice :) Well 2 and 1 third if you count their appearence in The Simpsons.

Edited by Josh

I gave up on after the "black album",I don't own anything since then. However "puppets" & "justice" are two of my fave albums of all time. I think after Cliff's death, their writing process changed for the worse. They were almost a prog band in the making, then turned into a cliched heavy rock act (IMO).

Is there any hard-hitting (ie, metal/punk/rock) band in its 40s/50s that has the same fire as when they were teens? - I severely doubt it. In the last couple of years I have seen Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, Slayer, the Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath and other 'classic acts' live and none of them were as angry, in-your-face and brutal as they were a couple of decades (or more) ago. It ain't gona happen.

But that does not mean you cannot enjoy them live for their songs and mastery. I don't expect a 45 year old Hetfield to exhort me to "shake whatever the f*ck you got" and come on stage pissed/high but that doesn't mean it ain't fun. Usain Bolt won't be as fast in 20 years time but I bet he'll still be entertaining.

Edited by Clarky

on disc 2 of SKOM there's a spiel by one of Metallica's management (Cliff Bernstein?) which basically says it all- they've got millions in the bank, they've got their wives & kids to spend time with and beautiful homes to live in, car/art collections etc. - what motivates them anymore to go out and make angry thrash metal?

Dave Mustaine's still bitter about getting fired from Metallica, and Megadeth being no.2, so that motivates him, like a hare he can never catch, but Hetfield and Ulrich haven't got any incentive.
they've done it all.

I just watched on youtube Dave Navarro interviewing Mustaine recently (Navarro comes across as a lousy guitarist), where Mustaine says of Phil Towel- "they referred to him as "The Connector"- I saw him more as "the account drainer" :)

When I heard that Rob Trujillo was joining Metallica, I didn't know what to think - partly because I knew who he was, and have albums by his two previous bands (Suicidal Tendencies & Infectious Grooves). I thought he could potentially boot the other guys back in to life - but I also wondered whether he'd be permitted to. I have no idea how succesful this experiement was, because I've heard almost no Metallica since then, just the occasional YouTube live video that seems to indicate he's having fun. :)

Edited by bnt

I saw them last year with Rob and was pretty impressed. He fills the role well, a nice mix of Cliff style histronics and Jason's rock steady playing. My real fear is that he will not be allowed to contribute to the writing, which is where Metallica have been lacking in recent years. Cliff was the musically knowledgable one who allowed Hetfields great riffs to flow into each other. Once the songs simplified on the Black Album, Jason kept them tight (lets face it, there probably isn't a looser drummer than Lars!).

But the lack of a decent bass player or bass line on St Anger made it a mess, coupled with the fact the guy producing the album was involved in the writing and bass playing didn't help. There wasn't anyone with a little distance between themselves and the band saying "hold on, that just doesn't work/it's too long/sort that f**king snare drum out!" St Anger came across as a mish-mash of ideas not fully thought out bolted together. Load and Reload were not thrash, or even heavy metal, but at least the majority of songs flowed and were fully realised.

Metallica are between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Older fans like myself want a Ride/Master/Justice style album with the old complexity, speed, and tightness again. A lot of the younger audience will want a straight ahead metal album like the Black Album. Some people actually liked St Anger! So where do the band pitch the new stuff? Either way someone is going to be disappointed. I just hope it won't be me!

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='269660' date='Aug 25 2008, 06:35 PM']I saw them last year with Rob and was pretty impressed. He fills the role well, a nice mix of Cliff style histronics and Jason's rock steady playing. My real fear is that he will not be allowed to contribute to the writing, which is where Metallica have been lacking in recent years. Cliff was the musically knowledgable one who allowed Hetfields great riffs to flow into each other. Once the songs simplified on the Black Album, Jason kept them tight (lets face it, there probably isn't a looser drummer than Lars!).

But the lack of a decent bass player or bass line on St Anger made it a mess, coupled with the fact the guy producing the album was involved in the writing and bass playing didn't help. There wasn't anyone with a little distance between themselves and the band saying "hold on, that just doesn't work/it's too long/sort that f**king snare drum out!" St Anger came across as a mish-mash of ideas not fully thought out bolted together. Load and Reload were not thrash, or even heavy metal, but at least the majority of songs flowed and were fully realised.

Metallica are between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Older fans like myself want a Ride/Master/Justice style album with the old complexity, speed, and tightness again. A lot of the younger audience will want a straight ahead metal album like the Black Album. Some people actually liked St Anger! So where do the band pitch the new stuff? Either way someone is going to be disappointed. I just hope it won't be me![/quote]

Rob has been given alot of freedom in the writing process for Death Magnetic, for one of the new songs he contributed the flamenco/spanish guitar intro which is quite impressive, yet I guess we'll have to wait until the 12th to finally hear if his groove laden appraoch to metal has made it's presence. Giving Rob creative freedom is one of things they decided on when he joined, because it was what pushed Jason away, due to James not wanting him playing anything but Metallica, though still not letting him add to the writing process. Personally I feel the way they use to make songs was the best way, James and Lar's jamming out and arranging all the riffs the guys recorded, it's how RTL,MOP, AJFA and The Black Album were brought about, and I think Load and Re-load were much the same as well, but ahd more of an open feel, and by that I mean the songs seemed to had stemmed from jamming sessions, Fuel is a perfect example of on the spot riffing. And St. Anger was pure jamming, and was actually quite uncomfortable to watch on SKOM, writing the same riff over and over, plus I do wonder where they got the idea to try Drop C, that was a mistake in itself.

Your completely right about them being caught in a bad situation, because any which way they decide to gm they have to take stock that alot of their fanbase love Kill 'Em All to Justice, and some love The Black Album to Re-load, and then theres the new fans, from St. Anger, who are still un-informed about what made them so great, so anything they throw at them they'll be the first to call it "Totally Awesome, best song they've ver written man, well not as good as Frantic...." :) ...Still, I do genuinely like everything they have released and can enjoy each album, but more specifically, the thrash era stuff, and as I've said in the thread in the Off Topic, I'm holding out for one very Battery/Blackened/Damage Inc. sounding thrash song which will probally give the album something to shout about. So you wont be too dissapointed, but I know I'll constantly thinking "Right ok, you can still write a damn good thrash song, so why not a few more to balance it out??".